Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2004 dodge stratus 2.4l vin x w/AC P0339, wont go past 2.5-3k rpms

More
6 years 4 days ago - 6 years 4 days ago #20528 by M0SSMEN1
Hi guys, im definately not a very experienced tech, i bought this stratus thinking it could be fixed and am having a very difficult time with it, so i figured since the previous owner changed the crank sensor and got it from "auto value" it was probably a cheapie (ill probably get quoted on this and get a lot of crap over it too) so i changed it (it didnt look like it was replaced recently) and now i get p0339(intermittent crank sensor circuit) and sometimes a p0300, before it was a p0339 and a p0016 ("cam crank correlation" but i figured that if i fixed the p0339, that would take care of the p0016) so now i am stuck and i saw 5v on 2 of the 3 pins for the crank sensor connector and the sensor is located in the most convienient spot (right behind the starter, thanks dodge) and i did an ohm check of the pins(i dont know what pins they actually go to on the ecm connector) and it was .3 ohms at the most and the ground pin was at .1v (it was lower than the "floating" voltage) so i thought the signal wire had high resistance when i first ohm'd it and was pushing on the harness, so i spliced a new wire in (with a thicker wire) and it said .2 ohms, so im at the computer(it has broken connector tabs and one held in by a wood screw(not the connector for the crank sensor))

I also did scope the cam sensor and i saw a lot of repetition even when the engine was spitting and sputtering at 2.5-3k rpms

Also, if you drive "like an old man" and baby this car, it runs fine, i have hooked up my scanner to the car with just the rpm PID and you can see the rpms drop like a tps sweep test (when its a bad sensor, no specific rpm in particular tho) but if you snap it it will register 3200 rpm

Am i missing a test or something i need to do here? Im really trying to figure this out (cuz i want the experience and i know experience is he best teacher, also i feel like i have done A LOT of diagnosis on my car so let me know if im missing something/something important)

Thanks again everyone!
Last edit: 6 years 4 days ago by M0SSMEN1. Reason: Thought of more stuff i did/to add

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 days ago #20530 by Ninjaxchicken
Check that the timing didnt jump...

More
6 years 4 days ago - 6 years 4 days ago #20533 by M0SSMEN1
i actually tried checking after i posted this just to be sure, i took the top timing cover off and lined up the cams, they look like they line up(there is also marks on the inside of the timing cover and they line up too) but i cant see the crankshaft mark on this thing, wish i could be better help

should i also replace the cam sensor? i heard they were supposed to be replaced as a pair on another forum but i didnt know if that was a load of crap someone was pulling
Last edit: 6 years 4 days ago by M0SSMEN1. Reason: had a question

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds