Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Help with fuel trim results

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #20366 by mbrando1994
Hello, this is my first post to the forum and I'm glad to be a part of this community!

This is from a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0L SOHC engine.

I just got done with the first few videos and decided to check my numbers as I have hesitation issues, I also recently replaced all the spark plugs which helped, but didn't seem to resolve the issue.

LTFT B1: -0.8%
STFT B1: 1.6%

SHRTFT B1S2: 99.2%
LTFT B2: 3.1%

For some reason when selecting STFT B2 on my scanning device, it displays the above (99.2%) which doesn't seem right, it is pegged and did not move regardless of RPMS, essentially a flat line stuck at 99.2%.

As far as bank 1 goes those numbers seem normal right? I'm still somewhat confused as to how it all works.That would average out to be 0.8%?

These recordings were taken at idle, revving the engine made bank one numbers increase but remain mostly balanced.
Still not sure what is happening with bank 2, please send any advice

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #20376 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Help with fuel trim results
That bank one sensor two trim can be ignored in this case. I don't even know why they include it in some data lists. I'm pretty sure there is no specific fuel trim value derived from that one post cat sensor.
I don't see stft b2, but the other trims look perfect.
If you've got time check out this video, and remember that for trims need to be checked at different loads and rpms to pull together the whole picture.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #20380 by juergen.scholl
On some cars the post cat O2 sensor - in your case the B1S2 - does have some authority on fuel trim .This makes perfect sense in the case of a failed - and recognized as so by the pcm - pre cat sensor.

This strategy was phased in from 2005 on, I believe. It does not apply to all manufacturers and all models. A value of 99,2% like in your case means basically that the rear O2 sensor is not taken into account regarding fuel trims. It does not have any authority on them.

I have seen this concept applied mostly on cars that do have an A/F ratio sensor (wideband) in the first place.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds