Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

p0335

More
5 years 11 months ago #20365 by landlordsunited
p0335 was created by landlordsunited
I have a Chrysler 300m 1999 3.5 high output engine in a 2004 300m. The car has never ran good since the engine was installed. I took it to a retired Chrysler mechanic. He was going to replace timing belt and water pump and said it probably needed a crank sensor. I bought one but couldn't get it in the hole so I put the original back in. I took it to him to install when he was to replace the timing belt. When I picked the car up he said he had no problem getting it in. The car would start misfiring and shake and I would stop on the side of the road and turn the engine off and back on and it would run good for hours until it happened again. After talking to another mechanic, he said replace the crank sensor. I removed it and the plastic cover over it was half gone. I went to NAPA with it and got another like it. I couldn't get it in the hole. It was for a 2004 they said. Got one for a 1999 and it won't fit either. Went to junk yard and searched thru half a dozen 300m's and only one had something in the hole and it was a 115v 400w heater. That car was tagged a 2001. Don't know where the crank sensor is on that engine. The car will finally start with or without a sensor. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20377 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:p0335
That's peculiar 1 of them had a heater In the same hole? The block heater is suppose to be just below the the crank sensor?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
5 years 11 months ago #20381 by landlordsunited
Replied by landlordsunited on topic Re:p0335
The hole is at the same place on the block as my engine but is deeper on the one that had the heater. So you say that the crank sensor on that block is higher up on that engine? I don't think there is a heater on my engine.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 11 months ago #20391 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic p0335
[quote="landlordsunited" post=20365 I bought one but couldn't get it in the hole so I put the original back in. I took it to him to install when he was to replace the timing belt. When I picked the car up he said he had no problem getting it in. Went to junk yard and searched thru half a dozen 300m's and only one had something in the hole and it was a 115v 400w heater. Any ideas would be appreciated.[/quote]

This is making me think maybe you're working in the wrong area? Not trying to insult you at all, but a block heater is in the engine block. Usually in the place of a freeze plug.
The crank sensor on these cars is in the transmission bellhousing.

Can you maybe post a pic of what your working with and where?

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Attachments:

More
5 years 11 months ago #20396 by Ben
Hey Noah when I looked it up it showed it as going in the timing cover on this engine and not at the flywheel what info do you have ?

• Noah
More
5 years 11 months ago #20397 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:p0335
That's from alldata, i checked for the model year of the car and the year of the engine he's got.
It was getting late though...
If i have some free time today I'll check again. I also want to check the interchange of that engine. I don't think a 99 is supposed to be a for an 04.

• Noah
More
5 years 11 months ago #20399 by Noah
99 engines are a fit from 99 to 02. 03 engines are 03 04 only. As luck would have it, a 2000 lhs was just dropped at my yard. If the engine in the car t the op is working on its truly from a 99, this is the exact same engine.

• Noah
More
5 years 11 months ago #20406 by Noah
There's a dummy hole that nothing goes in inches away from the crack sensor cavity that looks like it's meant to hold a sensor.

Attachments:

More
5 years 11 months ago #20407 by Ben
The way I read the post is that the car is an 04 with an 99 engine fitted? So the vehicle harness would go to the front of the engine for the sensor in the timing cover but maybe there's no tone ring there for it to read if the bottom end wasn't changed over in the 99 block? I would think the timing cover would have to had been changed for there to be a hole there though? Who did the engine swap? What did they transfer from original engine? I can't believe this vehicle runs without a crank sensor? Check the back of the block see if the sensor is there maybe someone spliced the wiring to hook up the rear crank sensor of the 99 motor?

• Noah
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #20410 by Noah
All data shows the location is the same for an 04 and a 99. Are you using Mitchell or Google or BBB or something?
At a minimum the installer had to have changed the harness and very likely the flywheel and camshaft reluctor to make everything kosher with PCM.
Or maybe he didn't change one or the other and now the recurring crank sensor code and hard start.
Aren't these also the Chryslers that would sometimes mislable the Cam and crank sensor data\codes?

Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Noah.

• Noah
More
5 years 11 months ago #20411 by Noah

Attachments:

More
5 years 11 months ago #20441 by Ben
Ha you are right Noah I don't know what I looked up the other day that said it was in timing cover I must have had another vehicle open. Sorry for the confusion.

• Noah
More
5 years 11 months ago #20450 by Noah
Lol, no problem. You're always spot on, I was second guessing myself.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20551 by landlordsunited
From the pictures that are posted and the info I have, I am at the right place. The 99 computer is still in that car. The wiring harness was transferred with the engine. The car doesn't start like it should. Once running, it runs fine unless you accelerate to try to pass someone and then it bucks like crazy. Got a p0325 after that. Thinking about getting a scope. How do you make the connection at the computer?

More
5 years 11 months ago #20555 by Ben
I'm starting to think we may have more than 1 issue here if it runs fine until you floor it we may have a plugged exhaust. Might be worth a try to remove upstream oxygen sensors , also a badly misreporting maf can cause similar symptoms do you have access to a scan tool with pid data?

More
5 years 11 months ago #20557 by landlordsunited
Do you mean remove or disconnect the O2 sensors. I am using Torque with OBDII plugged in. What is maf?

• Noah
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #20568 by Noah
Just so we're perfectly clear... And even if you did remove something from the hole on the block, it was not the crank sensor.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Noah.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20587 by landlordsunited
Boy what a difference when you are in the right hole!!!! Thanks Noah

More
5 years 11 months ago #20589 by rockp2
Replied by rockp2 on topic Re:p0335

landlordsunited wrote: Boy what a difference when you are in the right hole!!!!

I think I've heard that before back in my younger days....

• Noah
More
5 years 11 months ago #20607 by Noah

landlordsunited wrote: Boy what a difference when you are in the right hole!!!! Thanks Noah

You're welcome. Does it run better with the new crank sensor?

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds