Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2002 Honda Stream 2.0 Crank, No-Start (K20A1 eng)

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #2212 by SignalSimon
Evidently this one just lost power and coasted to a halt from highway speed.
It has been to numerous garages who cannot work out why it won't run.
They've all sworn blind that they've checked the timing and it's "bang on"
There's fuel, spark.... Sounds a lot like that Civic 1.7 start/run/stall only worse - the engine only attempts to fire twice at the start of each cranking from a key-off condition.

Cranking, Cyl.1 spark control (coil unplugged) vs starter motor current.
Meh, the spark would be a little after TDC but should still attempt to run.
Apologies for the noisy blue trace - starter current was taken via voltage drop across the block ground cable as I don't have a current clamp (yet!)

Removing the spark plugs from Cyls. 2, 3 and 4 and repeating the test.
Oh dear, that spark is ATDC on the WRONG cylinder!

Here's a Cam-Crank Correlation, but unfortunately I didn't capture crank vs the TDC sensor.

Next I removed the valve cover and observed that the timing chain was about 1 tooth out.
The chain seems under adequate tension, the cam sprockets look good but no idea about the guides or crank sprocket.
Is timing chain replacement an in-situ or engine out job on these?
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by SignalSimon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2217 by Tyler
Nice find, sir! I like that relative compression capture with some spark plugs removed, really tells the story here. Super surprised that the PCM is still firing the coils, despite the obvious cam timing issue.

Just for my own interest, I tried to find a known good cam/crank waveform, came up short. Some of the K24 waveforms look similar-ish...

Can't say if this is an in-car or engine removal job, since we don't have the Stream in the US market. Kinda looks like a stretched out Fit? :lol:

If it's anything like chain jobs on K24's, then you can easily do this in the car.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds