Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2000 honda accord speedometer not working

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #20080 by jaivs26
Hello Mates!

i have a 2000 honda accord ex coupe 3.0 that the speedometer, tip and odometer are not working. The computer is reciving the signal frome the Countershaft Speed Sensor and i can monitor the Vehicle speed on the Scanner.
I'm backprobing the signal wire from the PCM at the Instrumental Cluster witch is a BLU/WHT Connector B Terminal 2.

The voltages i'm getting is 4.22V with Ignition On Engine Off and it produces a square signal while driving.
The interesting thing is that the Voltage is still stays with the Key Off for 10 seconds or so and when i opened the door the Voltage comes back
Anyone have any idea what kind of signal i'm suppose to get and also if the voltage it suppose to be there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #20111 by Tyler
Hey jaivs26! I think you're looking at a bad instrument cluster. :( From experience, the signal you're seeing at pin B2 of the instrument cluster is exactly what you're supposed to be seeing. The cluster provides the voltage, and the PCM grounds it to produce the needed signal. Since you're seeing a square wave, I'd say the PCM is doing its job.

From the wiring diagram, it looks like that circuit isn't shared anywhere else, so I think you're good to go on a cluster. Maybe verify powers and grounds at the cluster just to be sure.
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by Tyler. Reason: grammar and stuff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
6 years 1 week ago #20563 by jaivs26
Hi: Tyler
i got a known good cluster but still the same issue!
i check the powers and grounds and seems ok

More
6 years 1 week ago #20564 by OBD Rick
Maybe a pin fit issue? As above I'd say if you have a good square wave then you've got your signal. Did your cluster work in the vehicle you swapped clusters with ?

Anyone got the picture of the diagram? fancy a gander

Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls. – Stirling Moss

More
6 years 1 week ago #20570 by jaivs26
Hi: Rick
i can't test my cluster because i don't have the car with me.. i got the cluster from my friend he has the engine out at this moment.

More
6 years 1 week ago #20571 by jaivs26
Here are some screenshots i got jut right now the only thing i noticing is the computer is not pulling the signal all the way to 0v
is it normal?
this is the signal at the cluster B2

and this is the signal at the countershaft speed sensor

Attachments:

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #21287 by jaivs26
Hello guys I'm back with and update

The problem was the ECU it wasn't grounding the signal all the way to 0. volts and that's way the cluster didn't work
i'm going to put few screenshots of the before and after readings at the cluster.
this is the bad signal

and this is the good siganl

By the way for all DIY community the ECU needs to be programmed. I programmed mine with the AUTEL maxiDAS DS 708
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by jaivs26.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
5 years 11 months ago #21330 by steve
Nice fix, it reminds me of another car with a speed sensor fault and I did a bypass test pulling the signal wire voltage down with a test light.
I used a led test light first and it didn't work, it wasn't pulling the voltage low enough
Then tried an incandescent and it worked fine

More
5 years 11 months ago #21348 by Tyler
Thanks for reporting back with the fix! :cheer:

Maybe I should have asked about the specifics on the waveform earlier on? :blush: Speaking of, it looks like the ECM is varying how far down it's pulling the signal. The Verus capture shows it going down to 2-ish volts, but the Vantage shows about 4V. :blink:

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds