Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

96 Honda civic ran then washed engine then problem started! Any ideas?

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #19989 by mhageman426
Car got me from point a to b until washed engine then wouldn't start. Distributor cap and rotor fried so replaced. Now it starts ,idles then dies. If I push on gas to keep it running it (misfires) big puff of smoke comes out by intake filter then dies. Has to sit 15-20 minutes before it will run and not just crank?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #19995 by Tyler
First thing that occurs to me is that you still have water in the spark plug tubes. If you haven't already, pull the wires and have a look. Dry as needed.

Are you positive you had the distributor correctly timed? I doubt you could install it 180 degrees out, but the timing adjustment still allows for enough movement to cause issues.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #20011 by randall.sick
I agree with Tyler, it sounds like you have the distributor set a tooth off. When it sputters is it throwing a code? I would make sure to set #1 to TDC and re-set your distributor.

My rides, 1998 Chevy Tahoe 5.7l
1999 Chevy S10 2.2l

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #20059 by Pinto
Did you replace the whole distributor or just the cap and rotor? if not then the igniter and pick_up coils below the cap are shorted probably. I think Honda distributor can be installed one way only..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #20147 by mhageman426
You are correct Tyler! After I posted my question thought about it and later that day it started but still acting like it was bogging down like being suffocated. I checked intake filter and then I thought that the exhaust was coming in the car so low and behold the foam bumper mold had broke lose and partly covering the pipe. Removed it and it ran just fine , Until 2 days ago when I guy hit me so hard his front tire broke off his truck!! Totaled out my car!! Thanks for the help everyone!!

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #20162 by Noah
Oh man, that's a rough break!

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 years 7 months ago #23965 by slackware
So what is the code for pickup truck in intake manifold?

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds