Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Ford v10 not starting

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #19799 by Tireman25
At my work we drive 2004 u haul. I think e350 with the v10. We got one that cranks but doesn't start. Did all the normal checks spark and fuel. All good. It has a head temperature sensor code. Will that keep it from starting. I know it helps with the timing from the computer. Just trying to help out my boss he's got it torn down and is a little stuck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #19816 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Ford v10 not starting
A cylinder head temperature sensor code, correct? I dunno about timing, but that'll definitely change the cranking injection pulse width. I rarely see those fail, but if you wanted to rule it out, you could just disconnect it and try starting again. ;-)

So spark is present, what kind of fuel checks were done? Pulse, fuel pressure? Or, will is start and stay running on an alternate fuel source?
The following user(s) said Thank You: chief eaglebear

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #19819 by Tireman25
Replied by Tireman25 on topic Ford v10 not starting
I'm not sure what kind of checks were done. I know it won't try and run at all. He's started by putting in a new crack sensor first and moved on to swapping out the ECU from another truck. Before he did that i checked the codes with my bluetooth obd2scanner. It also had a fuel rail pressure sensor code i can't remember exactly what it said. This probably isn't helping you help me much. On my 2004 Silverado i broke my coolant sensor once changing out my power steering pump. It wouldn't start once warm even with starting fluid. Thought maybe Ford would be the same

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #19820 by cheryl hartkorn
what is the actual fuel pressure vs what the fuel rail pressure sensor reads? also the plugs might be fouled from cranking on it. have you checked compression??

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #19821 by cheryl hartkorn
also have you checked for a stuck open egr valve/plugged exhaust?

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #19827 by Tireman25
I will check that tomorrow. I'm sure he hasn't yet. He's really just jumping to the worst possible conclusion the ecu. I guess it could but not likely be that. Another thing about when stopped working. A guy was just driving it in the rail yard going 20mph. I guess it shut off then started again and died. Since then nothing not even a sputter of life. But I'll find the time to check the pressure gotta find one for compression. And hope i don't brake of a plug. Supposed to be a real pain in these engines. Seized and stripping issues.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #19828 by Tireman25
I haven't what's the best way to check exhaust. These trucks do just put around a train yard and sit running a lot. Our diesels used to plug up a lot. Is this a issue with gasoline?

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #19854 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Ford v10 not starting
I guess a plugged exhaust is possible, but I figure it'd still start and idle if that were the case. For it to not start, both cats would have to be SOLID. :lol:

I'm with Cheryl about checking fuel pressure, as that's the most common reason I've seen for these not starting. If no one has tried it yet, you can always try feeding it carb cleaner or brake cleaner. If it starts, you know you're looking for a fuel delivery problem.

Does your Bluetooth scanner show live data? If you saw a fuel rail pressure code, then it's probably an electronic returnless system with a sensor on the rail. No gauge required! See if you find a fuel pressure PID in on your scanner. OR download ForScan - excellent software with access to OEM data. ;)

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #19868 by Tireman25
I didn't get to even try. He's got the ecu out and torn a part. The forscan is what I'm using. I'll look at the pid when possible. He did tell me he tried starting fluid with no luck at all. Yet says it had spark. He did replace the crack sensor. After watching a few videos before he tore it a part. The check engine light never turned off while cranking. I thought he would try and chase a wiring issue for the crank sensor. After i told him Ford light turns off. But nope straight out with the ecu. I'll let him just keep trying. I don't know he checked for spark i wasn't there. But it was after the sensor being replaced and trying the other ecu from another truck. He's going about it all wrong. I think. Just wanted some more ideas. Thanks I'll keep updated
The following user(s) said Thank You: chief eaglebear

Time to create page: 0.338 seconds