Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1997 Honda Civic DX d16y7 engine

More
6 years 1 month ago #19562 by Mechanic 350
I just replaced timing belt etc...
No 1 on tdc.
Cam marks at 9 and 3
Everything looking good. But after bolting everything back. The car is cranking abnormally long. What have I done wrong. I’m stuck like chuck. I need some guidance. Thank you in advance fellows.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19571 by Tyler
Do you have a vacuum gauge? A quick check at idle with no loads can tell us if timing is off or not.

No offense meant here, but are you positive you got the cam lined up correctly? As I recall, there's some pointers on the back timing cover, which sit very close to the upper edge of the cylinder head. Does this sound familiar?

More
6 years 1 month ago #19573 by Mechanic 350
Man Tyler I just lost my entire post that I wrote you. It said something error.and did not send my reply to you. Anyway I will do exactly as you have instructed me thanks buddy

More
6 years 1 month ago #19574 by Tyler
Sorry you lost your post. :( Frustrating, I know.

Pretty sure you're supposed to align the cam marks with the top of the cylinder head, NOT the pointers.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19583 by Mechanic 350
Ok then. I have to re-check everything after I perform the vacuum test. By the way, what reading am I looking at idle Tyler? Thanks buddy

More
6 years 1 month ago #19601 by Tyler
At hot idle with no loads, I'd expect at least 19" Hg. Less would suggest a vacuum leak, or a timing problem.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19616 by Mechanic 350

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds