Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1989 Ford Festiva L

More
7 years 7 months ago #2074 by Peter
1989 Ford Festiva L was created by Peter
Working on a 89 Ford festiva l that lost its cam pulse for ignition. Installed new distributor and now the injectors are going haywire and flooding the 1&3cylinder help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2077 by cheryl hartkorn
Replied by cheryl hartkorn on topic 1989 Ford Festiva L
unhook injector hook test light up to battery positive and check the pulsed ground for a short to ground. if your test light lights unhook pcm if test light goes out. the pcm is bad
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

More
7 years 7 months ago #2087 by matt.white
Replied by matt.white on topic 1989 Ford Festiva L
And it obviously didn't do this before? I'd go to a questionable distributor first. Maybe a dodgy sensor? What's your spark doing now out of curiosity? Are the injectors firing only on crank or all the time?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #2103 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic 1989 Ford Festiva L
Cheryl's idea sounds a good logical plan to me once you eliminate the wiring it leaves the PCM.
On a banked fired 4 cylinder engine injectors 2&3 will share an injector driver and wiring.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2114 by Peter
Replied by Peter on topic 1989 Ford Festiva L
I got the car running. When cold or under load runs great. At idle however the car will sputter and then quit and it takes 5-10 minutes before it will start again. If the sputtering starts and I give it some fuel it will keep running.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2115 by cheryl hartkorn
Replied by cheryl hartkorn on topic 1989 Ford Festiva L
means your starving for fuel. when it does that again check for injector pulse on the 2 injectors and power. if you have those 2 things the injectors are probably failing.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2117 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic 1989 Ford Festiva L
Injectors can be sensitive to temperature when they are failing, but it is an odd grouping of symptoms.
As a test can you swap the wires for a pair of injectors over between adjacent cylinders ? --- usually the engine will still run OK but not pefectly but it should tell you if the over fueling part of problem follows the wiring or stays with the injector.
The spluttering makes me think contaminated or degraded fuel as a possible cause particularly if the car has been lying unused for a while.

Other than that a wiring or connector issue has to be considered so examine wiring and check powers and grounds. And it would be good to know if the coolant temperature sensor was within spec.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds