Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

VVT Start Stall?

More
6 years 2 months ago #18805 by jsvets2326
VVT Start Stall? was created by jsvets2326
Can anyone confirm there's a problem with this crank signal it a 2009 traverse 3.6l LLT. In verus component guide it says it's a 58x sensor with one gap but my wave form has a lot of gaps. Yellow is crank,
green intake Cam and red exhaust cam
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18836 by bruce.oliver
Replied by bruce.oliver on topic VVT Start Stall?
This is from a 2012 traverse. Crank with bank 1 cams
Attachments:

More
6 years 2 months ago #18851 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic VVT Start Stall?
Definintely looks like the cams are out of time. :unsure: Backprobing the crank sensor? 'Cause it looks like the sensor is either dropping out, or the backprobe isn't making a good connection.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18853 by jsvets2326
Replied by jsvets2326 on topic VVT Start Stall?
I don't think it's bad connection as its repeating consistently
Attachments:

More
6 years 2 months ago #18854 by jsvets2326
This is a VVT engine so I'm little confused on confirming Cam timing. What is they are just set different

More
6 years 2 months ago #18856 by jsvets2326
Actually it is a bad connection. If you look the signal is missing where a Cam pattern is, crank signal is pin 35, can signal pin 34 in pcm I think I shorted them, good thing they are both hall effect signal pins could have burned up PCM, this is a start stall but I don't have any Cam crank codes. And if you look the two Cam signals I have match the ones posted by Bruce, but the Cam signal that's brining down the crank signal is off from the other two and I believe intake should match intake and exhaust match exhaust from bank to bank

More
6 years 2 months ago #18876 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic VVT Start Stall?

jsvets2326 wrote: Actually it is a bad connection. If you look the signal is missing where a Cam pattern is, crank signal is pin 35, can signal pin 34 in pcm I think I shorted them, good thing they are both hall effect signal pins could have burned up PCM

WOW. I didn't see that at all. :ohmy: But now that you point it out, it's pretty obvious. :silly: Crazy!

And if you look the two Cam signals I have match the ones posted by Bruce, but the Cam signal that's brining down the crank signal is off from the other two and I believe intake should match intake and exhaust match exhaust from bank to bank

I dunno that the green/red waveforms match the known good from Bruce? Here's where I'm looking:

The exhaust cam single pulse should be more centered in the low section of the intake trace, if I'm looking at it correctly. :huh:
Attachments:

More
6 years 2 months ago #18877 by bruce.oliver
Is the OP's capture bank 1 cams or bank 2 cams. The one I posted is bank 1 cams.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18890 by jsvets2326
So green is bank 2 exh, red is bank 1 intake, the Cam you can see in the crank signal is bank 2 exh, so it looks like our intake Cams (red) almost match you look a little advanced where your waveforms at idle? Also your green (exhaust correct me if wrong) matches the Cam signal you can see in my crank, now mine are ever do slightly off from what you have so I'm not sure if this is problem or just variance

More
6 years 2 months ago #18903 by bruce.oliver
Yes it was at idle

More
6 years 2 months ago #18914 by jsvets2326
You scared me on this one Tyler, the problem I believe is plugged exhaust I took out the O2 sensors and could get it to run although it sounded horrible with misfires, but it did stay running, when you say it should be more in the center, if you look at the Cam signal that is bringing down the crank you will see that down signal in intake were using as ref is right in the middle, the two exhaust signals don't line up like the intake and that is how it's supposed to be, I believe I have good timing but the chain could be little stretch as I think my signals come out one tooth of the reluctor late, which on 58x crank each tooth is 6•, if you look his intake is right in the middle of the crank sync and mine in on the first tooth, that gap is 12• so I'm probably 6• late from stretched chain do y'all think that is enough to cause a problem.

On side note the garage I did this work for is going to gut the cats as we don't have emissions in OH, how do y'all feel about gutting CATs it kinda bothers me personally, that my kids if I ever have any atmosphere their gonna need that shit clean.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18915 by jsvets2326
Both exhaust and crank

Intake and crank, since intake line up don't need both
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.310 seconds