Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Cleaning a throttle body!

More
6 years 2 months ago #18184 by HD/MW Canada
OK so I think I've screwed up!! Throttle body was quite dirty, and decided to give her a clean. Instead of spraying my rag and giving it a wipe I've sprayed straight into the throttle body and then wiped it down. Now when the truck is running it can idle fine, but if you rev it up 3000+ it is very slow to come back down and will not come back to idle. Stops at around 1000 rpm do it again and it will only come down to 1300-1500 rpm, and it is taking a good 10 seconds to come back down!! If you put it in gear with foot on the brake it will come back down to 600 like it should, shift to neutral and it goes back up. Makes it real interesting trying to stop on slippery roads. I'm thinks some of the cleaner made it inside the sensor and has screwed it up. Did this yesterday thought maybe sitting overnight might dry it up if some did get inside but no different. This is on a 07 yukon 1500 5.3. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18187 by derekoliveira
You can try to make an adaptation to the TB!?

More
6 years 2 months ago #18196 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Cleaning a throttle body!
Did you use brake clean or throttle body cleaner?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 2 months ago #18207 by HD/MW Canada
Throttle body cleaner, it is a name brand can't think of it right now. also wondering if it might have dried out the shaft bushing! Wonder if a drop on light oil might help?

More
6 years 2 months ago #18211 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Cleaning a throttle body!
Then spraying it straight in there should not hurt it make sure it's very clean (maybe even remove it to clean) make sure you have no vacuum leaks and your intake boot is on correctly and maf sensor is connected if still doesn't run correctly then you will likely need to perform a throttle body adaptation (usually requires a very good hi directional control scan tool) I don't remember seeing it in my options for gmail vehicles though maybe others cam chime in if it is adaptable?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 2 months ago #18214 by GeekDIYMechanic
derekoliveira is on the right track, IMHO.

By cleaning it, you have changed the value that the PCM thinks is closed/open since now it rests at a different angle detected by the TPS. Therefore, you might need to re-calibrate your PCM to the throttle body. Look in your generic functions area of your scan tool for throttle position like calibration procedures/tests.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18244 by HD/MW Canada
Thats what I was thinking would happen! I thought it would of relearnt in 4 or 5 key cycles, but that did not happen. Then in all data it says to idle for 3 minutes key off for 1 minute and repeat. That also had no effect. It also said if that does not work to drive over 70kph with several braking times and it would be done. No luck at that either. Tried both methods numerous times. Now after driving 4 or 5 days it seems to have relearnt, and is working fine. I would have thought it would of relearnt much quicker on a sensor that is that active.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds