Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED] 1997 honda civic DX 5 speed manual 1.6 no crank no start issue

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #17939 by Mechanic 350
Good afternoon fellow mechanics, my situation today is I have a no crank/no start issue. let me tell you what I have done:
1. checked battery, good condition.
2. checked headlights, nice and bright.
3. checked all fuses, under the hood, good
4. checked starter signal fuse under the dash, it checked good.
5. I checked the hot wire going to the starter solenoid, and is showing the wire is hot. haven't checked it for voltage yet.

I need some direction fellows, can anyone throw some steps to follow to properly diagnose this problem.
by the way, it didn't do that before. all I did to the car is a belt, water, and oil pump change.
thanks for your help.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Tyler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #17940 by Mechanic 350
i have a quick update. I was able to go to the solenoid and start the vehicle at the terminal with my power probe. the wire going to the solenoid is black with a white tracer. also, i can't seem to find the starter relay no where.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #17946 by Mechanic 350
another update. i found some crumbled pieces of clutch pedal stop pads on the floor. can anyone shed some light with pictures as to their exact location for this vehicle. I believe this might be the problem of the clutch not engaging the starter.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Mechanic 350. Reason: downloading pictures

More
6 years 2 months ago #18013 by Tyler
Google came up with this diagram off an '01:

https://goo.gl/images/usnEQa

File Attachment:

File Name: document15.pdf
File Size:204 KB

If you're looking under the dash, I'd say find the switch at the clutch pedal with black/white and blue/black wires. Short across the connector, or manually close the switch yourself, and see if the engine cranks. Transmission in neural, of course. ;-)

Maybe have a good look at the brake pedal stop pad while you're there, as they like to fall apart at about the same rate.
Attachments:

More
6 years 2 months ago #18023 by Mechanic 350
Tyler the stop pads crumbled all the way to the floor that was the problem after I was going crazy trying to figure out why the court did not want to start
In addition I was able to jumpstart the car through the starter solenoid and I started that’s how come I know that there was nothing wrong with the wiring and when I saw those pads on the floor that was my telltale sign but I thank you again buddy for all your assistance

More
6 years 2 months ago #18026 by arbez
Check 2 things real quick.

(1) There is a little rubber bumper on the clutch pedal arm. They go bad a lot & fall into the floor. When this happens there is nothing to push on the clutch switch when you push it to the floor. Part #20 on the following picture:

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/v-1997-hond...anual/chassis--pedal

Honda Part # 46505-SA5-000

There are 2 of them on the clutch pedal, I think you want to look at the upper one. Same one on the brake pedal switch.

(2) Another thing to check is the floor mat. Sometimes they can get bunched up & not allow the clutch pedal to push down far enough to activate the clutch switch. Seems like a simple thing, but I've seen it dozens of times.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18028 by arbez

MOROSO321 wrote: Tyler the stop pads crumbled all the way to the floor that was the problem after I was going crazy trying to figure out why the court did not want to start
In addition I was able to jumpstart the car through the starter solenoid and I started that’s how come I know that there was nothing wrong with the wiring and when I saw those pads on the floor that was my telltale sign but I thank you again buddy for all your assistance

I had to do something & came back to finish my response & you all figured it out in the meantime. Good job. Glad it was something easy.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds