Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2001 buick lesabre nt starting.

More
6 years 3 months ago #17698 by Stoney Burke
Hey Paul Danner, I have a question for you. I had a 2001 buick lesabre 3800 series that would not run, checked for the basics ( fuel, spark). I had no spark on the coil packs so I removed them and tested the ignition module with a test light and all drivers were firing so I re-installed the coil packs and found the middle coil pack showing good spark but the two on the ends with no spark and it still would not start, but if I pulled the plug wires off of the middle coil pack that was firing the car would start up and run but when re-installing the plug wires on the middle coil pack the car would shut off. So I switched the coil packs around( now all coils are firing and the car runs). What could have caused this problem? I'm confused.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #17706 by Doc n2mx
Hi,
I think that this car was sitting for a while, am I correct in my thoughts?
If So I would suspect that the contacts on the bottom of the coils were a bit crusty and thus making a bad connection. By you moving the coils you cleaned the contacts and by this action you have spark once more..
This is just my thought as I have had many issues with bad contacts. Normally you can clean them just by removing the two parts and replacing them. This is pretty common in computers.

Good luck
Doc

More
6 years 3 months ago #17708 by Stoney Burke
Well if I switch the coils back to their original positions it will not start.

More
6 years 3 months ago #17709 by arbez
I would unplug the coils, 1x1 & see what one allows it to start. Probably the middle one is bad, as stated in your original post. Shorted internally, I suspect. Moving them around may have have jostled something back into place. Inspect the connections & replace the suspected coil. All you can do with the amount of information & tool limitations that we seem to have. Let us know.

Time to create page: 0.364 seconds