Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

factory torsion clamps VS. worm clamps for water hoses

More
6 years 3 months ago #17601 by torque_Spec
What are your opinions about putting worm clamps in place of all the annoying factory torsion clamps for all the water hoses in a coolant system? I had a comeback because a new coolant hose was leaking because of a torsion clamp I reused. The leak is on a hose where I would have to drain the whole system to fix the leak.

Attached are pictures of the type of torsion clamps and worm clamps I am referring to.

Thank you.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #17602 by Andy.MacFadyen
You should have no problem with slipping a worm drive clamp but use the correct size and don't over tighten

4 basic types of hose clamps for radiator size hoses I know of are.
Spring clip clamps -- your "torsion clamps"
Factory Wire loop screw drive clamps
Worm Drive Clamps here in the UK these are usually called Jubilee Clips after the original manufacturer.
T-Bolt clamps
All of these have issues be especially aware of over tightening worm drive or T-Bolt clamps on plastic fittings.
Both Worm Drive clamps and T-Bolt clamps can be dismantled and slipped over a hose.
Although a given size of worn drive clamp can cover a wider range of sizes than the other types for a good seal pays to use the closest diameter to you application.
T-Bolt clamps have a limited adjustment range so need to be sized quite closely to the hose you are using but the do give a superior seal.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tutti57

More
5 years 7 months ago #23976 by slackware
to late for you probably, but just move clamp out of the way, and then put the "good" clamp on hose. Don't have to drain water at all.
Then if you ever need to take hose off you can remove the tension one.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds