Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2010 ford misfire 2.5L

More
6 years 3 months ago #17416 by keith
2010 ford misfire 2.5L was created by keith
i have a 2010 ford escape with a P0302 ; have swapped coils and plugs ; misfire stays on #2; did relative compression test; seems fine; did cyl. contribution test, shows #2 as low contributor; checked coils with low amp probe all coils have 3 spikes at idle; accept #2; only has 1 spike; checked wire integrity with test light all seems good; could a bad injector cause this issue??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #17427 by cheryl hartkorn
does the spark from the coil jump a spark tester set to 30 kv? also you might need to clear the code as the pcm might be shutting down the injector to save the converter

More
6 years 3 months ago #17428 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2010 ford misfire 2.5L
Does your scanner have the Injector Balance test available? This would be the best way to either clear all the injectors, or confirm an issue. I started a thread on it here:

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/diagnostic-t...ative-flow-test.html

For our info, is this a dead misfire, or does it only show up under certain conditions? Just based on my past experience with these engines, I'd suggest revisiting the relative compression test, as I've seen several with burned/leaking exhaust valves.

I'd also be interested to see the scope capture of the coil current ramps, especially #2. The three spikes is typical of the multi-strike strategy Ford uses at idle, but one spike is unusual. :unsure:

More
6 years 3 months ago #17521 by Tyler
Just checking in - any progress on this one? Mostly interested to hear if you found an injector issue, or had any luck with the balance test.

More
6 years 3 months ago #17573 by keith
Replied by keith on topic 2010 ford misfire 2.5L
did not check inj for flow yet; although ; when I did inj on/ off test; It was definetly contributing; I did find an intake leak but haven't fixed that yet; I just can't believe that would cause a P0302; no fuel trim codes; and fuel trims don't look bad; short term hangs @ 3 and LT is about 10; thanks for checking back

More
6 years 3 months ago #17578 by Tyler
Unless the intake leak was on the #2 runner, I'd agree that probably isn't the issue.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #17927 by keith
Replied by keith on topic 2010 ford misfire 2.5L Fixed
well Tyler I'm done with this; I ended up finding nothing ; customer ended up telling me he thinks he got some bad gas; anyway; I got to thinking this week; could an 02 cause this?? I had an 02 on this that was fixed lean; or rich; whatever ; but it didn't switch; anyway can you close this post for me; I can't figure out how to do that either ; hahahaha; anyway thanks for your help
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by keith.

More
6 years 3 months ago #18029 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2010 ford misfire 2.5L Fixed
No worries! Sorry you didn't get to see the end of this one. :(

I kinda doubt a faulty O2? If that were the case, I think you'd have had misfires on all cylinders and/or fuel trim codes. Plus, I believe this year of Escape uses an air/fuel ratio sensor instead of a conventional O2. So, your fixed reading from the upstream sensor is likely normal. Plus, your short term fuel trim hanging around 3% indicates that the sensor is probably alive/working.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 3 months ago #18033 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 2010 ford misfire 2.5L Fixed
No need to close a post. If you do get a fix for a post, we just ask that you edit the title to include "FIXED".

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 3 months ago #18077 by keith
Replied by keith on topic 2010 ford misfire 2.5L Fixed
noah; how can I tell if a cam lobe is worn? did a cyl contribution test on this car and #2 is low contributor no matter what I have moved around; inj. coil plug?? all waveforms look good; I don't think this cyl is breathing; compression is good; but something is definetly screwed up with this cyl. I need an answer for my customer; help please;

More
6 years 3 months ago #18081 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:2010 ford misfire 2.5L
You could do a running compression test and compare it to the rest (you have to remove the valve core from your compression gauge) if you have a pressure transducer you can so it with your scope.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: keith

More
6 years 2 months ago #18116 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:2010 ford misfire 2.5L
Do what Ben said. ;) What were the compression numbers?

More
3 years 4 months ago #45710 by ShawnRoberts81
I know this thread is old, but I'm dealing with same issue on a customer's 2011 escape. 2.5 vin7 4 banger. Ran through all fuel and ignition tests. Compression was good on static and running tests. Timing components all good. I did notice slight tick in valve train. Removed head and camshafts. Measured each cam to "bucket lifter" and found problem. After correct valve lash was set, and reassembly, it runs better than new according to my customer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds