Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

still shake shake shake

More
6 years 3 months ago #16908 by emo666
hi--working on my 1989 ford bronco II with 2.9 engine --STILL

What I've done since last post

Changed all ignition wires to plugs
Changed plugs
New cap and rotor
Tried compression test but gauge failed
Used different outfit to perform leakdown test --COLD--no noise from anywhere
Still have somewhat low fuel pressure but engine revs to 4500 no problem--WHILE DRIVING
Dripping some water from tailpipe but no steam
Losing some coolant -about an inch from overflow bottle in 2 months
Was going to buy chemical tester for hydrocarbons in coolant but watched video from scannerdanner -saying not reliable

This all started with a almost stall and bucking symptom and now has developed into this--but still loses idle speed when coming to a stop.

this thing shows no codes and no engine light---and it really shakes at idle -enough to wag a dogs tail--it smothes out around 2000 rpm
this is OBD1 --what do I do next?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16909 by arbez
Replied by arbez on topic still shake shake shake
Really have to do a compression to make sure you aren't wasting your time. You can do a "cranking compression test" to get an idea.

Better of you have a scope to do the "Relative Compression Test"

~~~

I did a lot of EGR valves on those old Fords way back then & your symptoms sure sound like yours could be sticking open.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16948 by emo666
Replied by emo666 on topic still shake shake shake
no ECR--BUT-- I hear a whooshing sound that I never heard before over on the passengers side --sprayed brake cleaner all around --no change. Could be tranny or exhaust??? Checked an pinched off every hose.
Question --do they make a right angle fitting for a compression tester as I have only 2 inches between #6 and the air conditioning chamber--really close to do anything while hot.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16961 by cheryl hartkorn
fuel pressure regulator leaking??

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 3 months ago #16971 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic still shake shake shake
In my experience, a "whooshing" sound is almost always a restricted exhaust. Usually the catalytic converter.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 3 months ago #17285 by emo666
OK guys --finally gave up took to the garage and had them check it out for the shake,shake problem. They put it on their diagnostic program and says ti's # 5 fuel injector not pulsing correctly. Cost me $123 smackers but --at least- all that I learned here and watching Dans video's , helped them eliminate diagnostic time and saved me money. (sent a list of things I did--IE; leakdown test etc, etc) Will be tearing it down soon --will report then. this IS a OBDO VEHICLE that never displayed a engine light or code.
P.S they said -when they manually fired the injector the shake stopped.

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds