Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Ford Ranger ABS Open Circuit Help

More
6 years 3 months ago #16807 by jb13
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my 2006 Ford Ranger FXT 4x4. The ABS light is on with the code C1186. My scanner is describing this code as "(ABS) power relay output open circuit". I have done some research on my truck's ABS and am trying to troubleshot why this light is on. I recently bought this truck so I do not have much history servicing it. From my research, I have found that there is not a ABS relay for my year Ranger. There are two fuse boxes, one under the hood and one inside the cab on the passenger side that both have fuses related to the ABS. Inside the cab there is a fuse for (Fuse 20, 10 amp): "Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) module, Brake-shift interlock, Speed control module, Back-up lamps, Overdrive cancel switch, Electronic flasher (turn/hazard)". I checked this fuse and it looked okay from visual inspection but decided to replace it anyway. Under the hood I checked the following fuses: Fuse17, 40 amp which is the "ABS Motor" and Fuse 33 which is a 30 amp for "ABS solenoids". I checked both of these fuses and everything looked fine. I replaced the smaller 30 amp fuse but did not replace the 40 amp because I did not have one laying around, it is a large cartridge style fuse.

Assuming all of the fuses are good, I am wondering what else could cause the "open circuit". I also found that there is a ABS Module on my truck separate from the fuses/relays. I am wondering if this has possibly gone bad? I also did a visual inspection of the speed sensors on the truck (one on the rear axle, and one hidden behind each of the two front wheels). I could not see the two front sensors because you have to take the wheel off, brake caliper, etc.

Could anyone point me in the right direction on this? Am I missing something? If I clear the code it comes right back on at start up. Maybe a wire is cut somewhere that I am not seeing? I believe there is a code for the wheel speed sensors so if it was a bad sensor then it would throw that code saying it. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16819 by cheryl hartkorn
the abs relay is inside the abs module from the description of the code. you need to gain access to the abs module and test powers and grounds..

More
6 years 3 months ago #16820 by cheryl hartkorn

More
6 years 3 months ago #16829 by jb13
okay that you for the help and the link to the wiring diagram! greatly appreciated. I will find that module and start testing to see if that will help me find why the abs light is on

More
6 years 3 months ago #16872 by jb13
Everything tested fine with the wiring for the sensors and fuses. I am starting to think that the abs module itself is bad........is there a way to test the module? I see the it is grounded with two wires on the diagram, 57 BK, 57 BK. I also see it PWR next to the ABS motor. I do not believe there is any wiring from the abs module to the abs pump as it is screwed onto the side of the pump. Is there anyway to test the module itself without removing it? I watched several videos of guys removing them and re-sodering the circuit board which fixed there issue. There is not a lot of info online about the code I am experiencing specifically..... the guy I bought the truck from said the ABS light came on when he put bigger off road tires on the truck. I have since replaced the tires with the factory size wheel and tire.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16874 by cheryl hartkorn
if you have powers and grounds at the module it needs the module. i never taken one apart to repair

More
6 years 3 months ago #16878 by Tyler
I agree with Cheryl, sounds like it's module time. I've seen this code on several different Ford models, and it always ends with module replacement. :( Double check your powers/grounds, then stick a fork in it!

I've never taken one of these apart, either, but you might be able to piece together where to look based on other videos. If it doesn't work? You're no worse off than you were.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16884 by jb13
Thanks for the quick reply guys. After messing around with the wires yesterday and today I hooked my scanner back up and the code for an open circuit has somehow gone away......I have no idea how or why it went away. However, the ABS light is still on in the truck and now the truck is showing a different code. C1414. my scanner is saying "Incorrect Module Design Level".......and one of the reported fixes is reprogramming the instrument cluster. I'm going to do some research on this new code and see what the deal is. I am going to call Ford tomorrow and look into reprogramming the instrument cluster....after taking off the oversized wheels and tires that were on the truck when I bought it, the instrument cluster on the dash is not showing the correct MPH and RPM compared to what my scanner is showing. The MPH is anywhere from 3-4 mph off and the RPM is anywhere from 500-1000 off.......really weird how off the RPM is. I was going 65 on the highway and the RPM was at 3300 on the dash which seemed high, my scanner was showing the RPM at 2300......I don't have much experience with Ford's but I am assuming that the dealer is the only one who can reprogram or recalibrate my instrument cluster for me

More
6 years 3 months ago #16887 by jb13
It seems like the C1414 code has something to do with the Restraints Control Module (RCM) for the truck. I am not sure if that is correct or not but it is what I found so far......I also saw that this code could somehow be linked to the LF wheel speed sensor? it seems like such a generic kind of code it does not give much direction

More
6 years 3 months ago #16888 by jb13
I am not sure why that code would be for the RCM considering it is coming up on my scanner as an ABS code......if it was related to the RCM which deals with airbags and crash sensors then it should come up as an airbag code. Maybe I am reading false info on the internet who knows

More
6 years 3 months ago #16957 by Can Bus
I"m just curious but have you looked into your data and checked the speed of your 3 sensors? You should have one on front left, front right, and one in the rear. Are all 3 showing the same mph?

On another note, i had an abs open circuit code and several others on my Jeep. Ended up taking the module off the abs pump, dissecting the module and re soldered 2 connections on the circuit board and all is good now.

Since you said the truck had bigger tires, your mph and rpm are off, it sounds like the truck was previously programmed to compensate for the bigger tires.

There Is No Such Thing As A Stupid Question, If It's Sincere. Better To Ask And Risk Appearing Stupid Than To Continue On Your Own Ignorant Way And Make A Stupid Mistake. Author Confidential/Unknown

More
6 years 3 months ago #16958 by jb13
I don't have access to check the speed of the three sensors unfortunately. I disconnected the sensors and cleaned the connections with electrical cleaner. I attempted to take the module off of the side of the abs pump, but it is a weird hinge/handle like design and I do not want to break anything.

As far as the truck being programmed for bigger tires, the previous owner said he just put bigger wheels and tires on it and did not reprogram it. I am not sure if he's lying or telling the truth, but he did not take great care of the vehicle so I doubt he took it to the dealer and had it reprogrammed.

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds