Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2007 Chrysler Town And Country 3.8L 230CI V6 FI engine issues

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #16509 by chris.engler
After a very cold night my van wouldn't start, got it jumped and have been having issues since then. P0300 code came up and while driving up a small or big hill, it struggles to accelerate, when it tries, it sounds like maybe a backfire or a hammer tapping sound as it tries to accelerate and van shakes a little bit.
Also when I have the van in drive when I'm sitting at a stop sign or just setting there, the engine seems to hiccup, like it wants to die but doesnt
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by chris.engler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #16510 by GeekDIYMechanic
First off, the tests I list can be found in ScannerDanner videos.

I would first perform a clear flood crank and listen to the engine. You should hear an even cranking sound. This test gives you an indication if one or more of your cylinders have poor compression.

I would see if your scan tool allows you to which cylinders are misfiring. Many times this is just a hint to the actual cylinder(s) since it is difficult for the PCM to actually determine the faulty cylinder. But, I have had good luck telling me if there are misfires, especially if one of them is off the charts.

If easy, meaning your engine has a schrader valve on your fuel rail, I'd test fuel pressure. This will ensure your fuel system is delivering the appropriate fuel pressure that your engine requires to run.

I would then perform a cylinder contribution test using an incandescent test light at idle. This test will tell you at least two things. 1) if each coil is creating a strong enough spark 2) you will see which cylinder(s) aren't firing.

In regards to the p0300, it isn't easy determining which cylinder is actually misfiring. So, let's hope it is really just one causing the issue.

Be persistent and logically and you'll get it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds