Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2006 Jeep Wrangler 2.4L Standard Transmission. No start, Rev Limited

More
6 years 4 months ago #16473 by Cmmerscher
We have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler 2.4L Standard Transmission. Neutral safety switch is bad and will start in gear with no clutch. This has been an issue for a long time with no other problems. Recently, when starting first thing in the morning, at first attempt to start, turning the key to start position would cause all accessories to cut, but started did not engage. After turning key all the way off and starting again, it would start with no problem. This seemed confusing since it was consistently only first try in the morning and only took one time to restart. Never multiple attempts. More recently in 5 degree weather, after driving 50 miles on the highway with no problems, we stopped and went to restart and the engine cranked, but seemed there was either no fuel or no spark. Didn't feel to try to start at all. We thought fuel pump relay was frozen off or the fuel pump had frozen up or quit. The next morning, the vehicle fired up with no problems...Not even an extended crank time as you would have with low fuel pressure. For this reason I was thinking the relay was sticking. With no problems for 5 more days when the temperature was above 20 degrees, we continued to drive. Once the temperature dropped back down below 10, new problems occurred. The jeep started with no problems but was rev limited to 2250 RPMs. Engine would cut out right at 2250 consistently and kick back in at 2000. Seemed electronic because of the consistency of the RPMs and the immediate cut with no sputtering. (Many people commonly say fuel pressure was prob. dropping). After warming up and keying off and back on, the jeep immediately ran fine. The next day, the jeep ran fine again and we attempted to have the jeep looked at. The mechanic assumed the PCM as there are P1696 and P1697 Codes in the jeep. There are no PCM's available for the vehicle. We drove the jeep home and this time it was rev limited to 1300 RPMs which made it far more difficult to drive. Once the jeep warmed up again we restarted and it ran perfect. The jeep sat for one more day and this time upon starting, it was not rev limited but would not idle. We had to keep it running at each stop. The PCM is not available so I am attempting to exhaust any options that would make this run this way. In warmer weather, we never had a problem and the PCM codes were in there at that time as well. The problems are only occurring in extreme cold. Since the problems have started, we have gone through 3 tanks of fuel from different trusted gas stations. Gas mileage is down to about 10 mpg from 18-19. There are a ton of codes. Some seem that they could be related. 1616, 1696, 1697, 0645, 0627, 0481, 0480, 0443, 0499, 0622, 0685, 0533, 0340.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #16502 by Tyler
Whew, that's an impressive codes list! :woohoo: For the benefit of others, I quickly googled the rough code descriptions. They're not exact. ;-)

P1616 Engine Control Relay Fault
P1696 EEPROM Fault Write Error
P1697 SRI Mileage Error
P0645 A/C Clutch Relay
P0647 See above
P0481 Cooling fan
P0480 See above
P0443 EVAP Purge Fault
P0449 EVAP Vent Fault
P0622 Alternator
P0685 See above
P0533 A/C Pressure Sensor
P0340 CMP

I think my first question would be which codes come back immediately when the codes are cleared? And/or, which ones come back on a cold start? If the P1696 or P1697 come back right away, then I'd have to agree that the PCM is in question. I find it very unlikely that there's issues with ALL these systems. :silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.305 seconds