Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2002 Dodge Stratus 3.0L Coil Control

• Chad
  • Chad's Avatar Topic Author
  • I am not a parts changer.
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #15959 by Chad
Hi, Guys and Gals.

I have a question about the coil control voltage on this Stratus. It is a no spark, no start. Power is good. Ground is good. I have a control signal, but it is a 0 - 2.7v Square Wave. The 2.7 volts is confusing me. Is this normal, and I have a bad coil/transistor? Or, should I have a 5v or 12v square wave, and 2.7v is not enough? Testlight to battery positive, tapping control for a bypass, toggles 0 - 12v, but still no spark. No current. I believe, I need a new Distributor/Coil, but am not 100%.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Chad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #16009 by Tyler
I think you're right about needing a distributor, 2.7V definitely seems low. I can think of no reason why an NPN transistor like the one the diagram shows would generate that kind of voltage on the base circuit. Replacing the distributor would be my next move. ;-)

My only question would be if the 2.7V is being generated by the PCM or the distributor. KOEO, is the voltage 2.7V on the black/blue wire? Or, is it 0V?

More
6 years 4 months ago #16010 by Tyler
Actually, I take it back! You may just have a bad coil inside the distributor. I got to thinking about this video:

The coil turn on ramps are around 2-3V (tough to see the exact value). It's not the SAME engine, but the distributor design is very similar.

I dunno if the coil is replaceable separate of the distributor? If so, maybe take the cap off and check for coil control? Otherwise, proceed with distributor replacement. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds