Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Battery charging.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15926 by Agnewsautos
Thoughts on charging batterys while they are in the car and connected. Is it bad, could you do damage to the ecu? I guess not as on average 5amps is going into a really flat battery. I ask as I was told to disconnect the battery before charging as an apprentice (many moons ago) but have only come to question it now. I note that Danner is always charging batts while testing.

Thoughts?

Allan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15946 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Battery charging.
Interesting. :huh: I've never thought twice about charging a battery in the car, or even have the key on while charging. Really, I would think disconnecting the battery would cause more problems than charging the battery while connected. :lol:

I think the only issue would be introducing AC ripple into any scope waveforms you'd be taking off the car while charging, as you can see in some videos. Otherwise, I say go for it!

More
6 years 4 months ago #15961 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Battery charging.
The early car electronics used germanium transistor were much more sensitive to spikes so extra caution was required to avoid spikes and reverse polarity. But I never disconnect on a running engine when I do connect chargers, jump packs or booster leads I always just touch the leads to check there is no big spark before connection proper. I use two modern chargers a small fully automatic8 amp charger (the type sold by Aldi and Lidl in Europe ---- highly recommended and great value) and a large booster charger. I haven't check the boost charger for ripple but small charger output is very clean.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds