Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1996 Honda Accord Engine Mount

More
6 years 5 months ago #15885 by scarney
Hi,

I have a fairly long post with so please bear with me.

I have a 1996 Honda Accord that I believe has some bad engine mounts. I have recorded three YouTube videos where you can hear the different noises my car makes. First, the car makes a grinding noise while driving in reverse. YouTube URL
. Second, the car makes a similar noise while in park, with my foot off the brake, on a downhill grade. YouTube URL
. Finally, I took a video of the engine while I rev it in park, reverse, and drive. I don't have much experience with engine mounts so I don't really how much they should be move, but it's moving more than I expected to, for whatever that's worth. YouTube URL

If the cause of the noise is an engine mount, how can I go about determining whether a mount is in good condition or needs to be replaced. I have a video of each of the four mounts in the car. On the front mount, found here,
, I can see the rubber is cracked, so obviously that mount in particular is shot. On the other mounts however, it doesn't appear that the mount is cracked. The rubber looks like its pretty old and is flaking. Does that alone indicate the mount is bad. Here is a video of the rear mount, which I have read has been known to cause the vibration I'm hearing. YouTube URL
. Finally, I also have videos of the left and right mounts respectively. YouTube URL
. YouTube URL

Finally, does anyone have an opinion on where to get the mount from if it indeed needs replaced. The rear mount, 50810-SV4-J82, can be purchased from Majestic Honda for $250.06, while the corresponding mounts from RockAuto are anywhere from $20-$50. I have read online that in order of quality it goes something like Honda > Beck Arnley > DEA and Anchor. Does anyone know who makes the mounts for Honda? Additionally, I have read that these Hondas are notorious for needing engine mount replacements. Are the OEM mounts not that good to begin with, or perhaps it the design of the car that puts extra stress on the mounts. The car has about 96,000 miles on it. I take good care of it and I plan on keeping it for the long haul, however I don't mind saving some money if the mounts are similar in quality. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15887 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic 1996 Honda Accord Engine Mount
It sounds like an exhaust pipe vibrating against the body, to me. How are your exhaust hangers?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
6 years 5 months ago #15889 by arbez

pole71 wrote: It sounds like an exhaust pipe vibrating against the body, to me. How are your exhaust hangers?

Agreed

More
6 years 5 months ago #15907 by Tyler

pole71 wrote: It sounds like an exhaust pipe vibrating against the body, to me. How are your exhaust hangers?

Spot on. It's possible that weak mounts are making this condition worse, but it definitely sounds like the exhaust is hitting the body. Around the gas tank or going over the rear controls arms is where I usually see issues.

I have read online that in order of quality it goes something like Honda > Beck Arnley > DEA > Crappy broken mounts > Anchor.

Fixed. ;-) :lol:

But seriously, it's SO easy to install problems with replacement mounts. I chased a vibration in my Scion for years with Anchor/DEA stuff before sucking it up and going OE all the way around. Only thing that fixed it.

I'd go Beck Arnley or OE, and do all of them. It's tough to see, but I'm pretty sure that left one (drivers, front of engine) is toast. The way it shifted when changing gears seemed excessive to me.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15930 by Andy.MacFadyen
I ran the 2.2 twincam version of the same car (actually badged a Rover 623) for few years the Honda mounts are designed to be very soft the engine moves about a lot. ISTR the exhaust takes a dog leg around the fuel tank and needs pretty careful alignment to prevent knocks and vibration.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds