Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2006 Chevy Impala B0085 SRS Sensor Code

More
6 years 4 months ago #15808 by Dtnel
2006 Chevy Impala. 117,653 miles. V6 3.9 L Eng.

I've owned this vehicle since 2007 as I had bought it off of a lease return from the dealer who picked it up at auction.

Have a airbag code B0085. Had it scanned at the dealer a year ago and they said left front impact sensor. Went and got a know good sensor and replaced it and still had the code. Checked with dealer and part no is same for left and right side so I swapped sides and still had code.

Tried removing the left front impact sensor , plugged battery back in, scanned and had a b0086 code which is left front as well. So being I had two codes for the same spot I unplugged the battery. Removed the right front and plugged in again and another code that identifies with right front came up. So at this point I determined that there's either two left front and right front sensors but at this point I couldn't find the other right front as there was two left front sensors, correct? No this isn't the case.

I think this is related to the left front side impact sensor in the door. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Funny thing was I went back to the dealer as asked them how they could tell me this was the issue and keep my money knowing it's not the issue. The Chevy Stealership then offered to look at it again and when asked if there'd be a charge since it was diagnosed improperly they said they'd have to charge me by the hour since it's a complex situation.

I told the guy that they'd spent less than a hour on it before (about 50min) and theycharged me the diagnostic fee and said that was the problem why should I have to pay for a failure on their part to diagnose it properly.

Yes I know going to a shop and getting a diagnostic scan and troubleshooting and then replace the part myself is paying them for part of the work but if you think the hourly rate of $115 plus $70 diagnostic fee is expensive the sensor about the size of a thumb is just as much if not more.

Thing that stumps me the most is the tech who scanned it said he had the sensor off and checked the wire integrity so maybe if my assumption of it being a door sensor is correct then the tech wasn't properly trained to diagnose or troubleshoot the problem?

If I would've had the scan tool then that I have now (modis edge) I would've never taken it to the dealer. The dissatisfaction with the dealer is what ticked me off where I went to the snap on guy and said how much outright for a Solus Edge at the time. He showed me pricing and I wrote the check. Fastforward 6-7 mo later after being turned on to diagnostics more I felt I'd get more use eventually out of my Picoscope if I used a oscilloscope regularly while mobile so I upgraded to the modis edge. Since I got the edge I've scanned a ton of vehicles and this has been for myself, family and friends while gaining knowledge and experience.

I like getting the oscilloscope out and also using the troubleshooting portion of the scanner and the guided component test is a great feature.

I better end this post as I've gotten off track but I love my tools.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15817 by Tutti57
Those codes should be related to the side sensors that are in the doors. The front sensor DTCs are B0083 and B0084.

Check to see if the part numbers are the same where you can just move your new one to the door but sometimes they are not.

The dealer should own to this though and make it right for you since it was clearly a mistake. The sensors are confusingly named, so it's easy to see why it happened, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtnel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds