Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2004 E250 intermittent compression loss

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #15759 by EricGoodrich
2004 E250 5.4L

Customer states check engine light is on and vehicle runs rough.

P0301 stored ( along with a startup misfire code I forget which code it is exactly ).

I pull the vehicle in and the first thing I do is an audible relative compression test. Everything sounds even so I move on to watching the data list. No misfires are counting at idle. I snap the throttle and let it idle down. Misfires develop over the course of about two or three seconds. Now there's a dead hole, or holes because there's only a bulk misfire counter not a cylinder specific one in the scan tool.

I perform the audible relative compression test again and can clearly hear uneven cranking. Out comes the lab scope. Repeated relative compression test. Here's what I got: Channel A is cranking current. Channel B is primary ignition current cylinder 1.

What?! Looks normal! That's right. And it sounds even during cranking, too.

So, I start the engine, snap the throttle and let it idle. As soon as it misfires, which only takes a few seconds, I shut it off and repeat the relative compression test. Here's what I ended up with.

Cylinder 6 and cylinder 7 have low compression. Now, I repeat the relative compression test and the results are normal again!

I removed the spark plug from cylinder 7 and installed a compression gauge and repeated the relative compression test. This is what I found: Same results except now only cylinder 6 has low compression. The only thing I changed was putting a compression gauge in cylinder 7.

I'm suspecting sticking valves but what's weird is that installing a compression gauge seems to have corrected the low compression on cylinder 7. How would removing combustion from the cylinder correct the loss of compression?
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by EricGoodrich.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15761 by Tyler
Do you still have the compression gauge in #7? I'd be tempted to remove the Schrader valve and see how running compression behaves when you the snap throttle -> idle down thing. I bet you'll be able to get the compression to disappear. :lol:

Valve spring failure isn't uncommon on 5.4's, so pulling the valve covers for a visual might not be a bad idea before selling a head job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EricGoodrich

More
6 years 4 months ago #15762 by EricGoodrich
Here's the problem. I used my pressure transducer but never lost compression! 60 psi running compression. Valve timing appears correct. Exhaust pressure stayed near zero. No dip after decompression. This thing only acts up when there's a spark plug in the hole.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15797 by Tyler

EricGoodrich wrote: Here's the problem. I used my pressure transducer but never lost compression! 60 psi running compression. Valve timing appears correct. Exhaust pressure stayed near zero. No dip after decompression. This thing only acts up when there's a spark plug in the hole.

Crap! :lol: How about a vacuum gauge on the intake manifold? That'd give you more evidence of a mechanical issue.

Perhaps it's the heat of combustion that's causing the problem? :huh:

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds