Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

No start 2005 Mustang 4.6

More
6 years 5 months ago #15615 by Marty256
Checked fuel pressure, 85 psi at initial key on then drops to 48 psi checked at fuel pump as I have no adapter to check at fuel rail. Good spark at COP and power to the injectors with a good pulse on the control side. Engine seemed flooded so I turned key on depressed gas pedal to floor ( drive by wire system) and cranked until engine fired up. Lots of black smoke from tail pipes confirming flooded condition. Restarted several times without issue. Believe the injectors are bleeding down into cylinders. No trouble codes set. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15619 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic No start 2005 Mustang 4.6
I'd be surprised if you had multiple injectors leaking, but anything is possible! I'd expect the plugs on any cylinder with a leaking injector to be heavily fuel fouled or black as a result.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15653 by Marty256
Replied by Marty256 on topic No start 2005 Mustang 4.6
Son in law's vehicle. He changed the factory injectors about a year ago with the cheapest ones Rock Auto had available which leads me to believe an injector problem!

More
6 years 4 months ago #15654 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic No start 2005 Mustang 4.6
Ahhhhh OK, I understand your thinking. :lol: Depending on how much work you wanna do, there's a couple different ways to prove leaking injectors.

One would be to lift the rail out of the intake (but still connected to the fuel lines) and put tissues under the ends of the injectors. Run the pump prime a few times, then turn the key off and check the tissues periodically. The wet ones are leaking.

The other way would be to install a shutoff valve with your pressure gauge, so that you can pressurize the rail, then close the valve and isolate it from the rest of the fuel system. If the gauge continues to drop off, then there's an injector issue. This one would be tough, as you said you don't have the correct adapters, but it'd same you the trouble of pulling the rails. :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marty256

More
6 years 4 months ago #15659 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:No start 2005 Mustang 4.6
Just a precaution if you opt to pull rail and check for leaking injectors it's a good practice to add a zip tie to hold injector to rail. I've had them blow off with just the little clips holding them on

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marty256

More
6 years 4 months ago #15690 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:No start 2005 Mustang 4.6
Pro tip from Ben. B) :lol:

More
6 years 4 months ago #15696 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:No start 2005 Mustang 4.6
Haha thanks Tyler I learned that lesson the hard way.... I like mechanics wire myself but that's not always available

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #15698 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:No start 2005 Mustang 4.6
:lol: That post had 'I got pressurized gas right in my face' written all over it.

Speaking of, have you worked on any Chevy direct injection systems? Those O-rings aren't messing around. Getting an injector out of it's rail is like trying to pull a porcupine out of it's hole backwards. :silly:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Tyler.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds