Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1994 Lexus LS400 Crank- but No Spark and No Start

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #1576 by bazzan
Located in Freeport, Bahamas and no certified or knowledgeable Lexus mechanic around.

For several weeks while driving dash console began to work intermittently. Also starter at times would seem as if it was locking up.

A week ago i bought a new battery (NAPA 880 CCA) and installed. When I started vehicle, got what sounded like a loud noise. Turned off vehicle and restarted again, this time without a problem. Drove to work and when ready to leave, vehicle turn over but wont start.

Towed home. Check for fuel pressure by opening screw on rail. seem low so i checked fuel filter and replaced because somewhat clogged.

Fuel pressure seem to improve at rail.

Pulled spark plugs on both side and no spark. Came across ScannerDanner on Youtube and followed his instruction on testing ignition coils and ignition igniters. Got spark from both ignition coils but cant get spark when cranking vehicle.

Brother have a working 1990 Lexus LS400 and a working engine and transmission pulled from a wrecked 1992 Lexus LS400 in sitting on a pallet in his yard.

borrowed his Crank sensor from working vehicle and tried on my vehicle. Still no spark and no start at coil or plugs except when doing test.

A friend who works at Catepillar told me that I need to jump pins and try to wash engine lights for code, but more than likely i have to test my Cam Shaft Sensors.

ScannerDanner responded on YouTube that the "Next step, we need to see if the ECU is alive by testing the 5v reference circuit."

Need to know how to do either of the two.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by bazzan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #1587 by bazzan
followed up with the instructions on jumping and obtaining code. Got a code 12

pulled plugs to Camshaft sensors and the resistance between the terminals. about 1150 ohms on both.

really stuck now. Any other recommendations.

Only option left is testing the 5v reference circuit if I can get instructions on doing so.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by bazzan.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 8 months ago #1696 by Noah

Here's a free video where Paul walks us through a no start on a Chevy Cavalier. It shows how to check for a 5v ref. feed.
Do you have the definition for a Code 12 for those of us without pre OBD2 Lexus experience?

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 8 months ago #1721 by cheryl hartkorn
I googled code 12 and it comes up with "rpm signal circuit fault". have you tested the cam sensor yet?

More
7 years 8 months ago #1722 by cheryl hartkorn
also do you own a scope? if not guess we will have to "ohm" the sensors.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 8 months ago #1728 by Noah

This video on the free channel is a 1991 LS400 with a no spark condition.
I'm not suggesting your's is going to be exactly the same, but I'm sure you'll find it useful.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 8 months ago #1729 by Caritech
He tried the bypass test and got spark. This is a 1uz? How many wires are on the cam and crank sensors?

More
7 years 8 months ago #1731 by ScannerDanner
This is a none bypass type ignition system. The ECU processes cam and crank signals then communicates this with the igniter. The reason I wanted to know about the 5v ref circuit is to make sure the computer is alive.
Checking for injector pulse would be helpful here too but some of these Toyota systems need the IGF signal (generated by a firing coil) for injection pulse to take place.

Don't be a parts changer!

More
7 years 8 months ago #1739 by Caritech
Yeah it's not a bypass system but he followed the igniter test vid and got spark. Could a rpm signal be imitated with a test light on these? I have the similar situation with the 2jz and tried test light to battery (+'ve) to crank sensor signal (KOEO)and the pump came on, only ones though, no spark.

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds