Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

no comm. with the scanner and all of the module.(DLC fuse & ground checked)

More
6 years 5 months ago #15315 by Evanlip
hi,there,i didn't mention the car model at my topic because i have 2 cars having the same issue at the same time.
first car is Volvo S40 :
i did diagnose the car few months ago with the same scanner everthing's good,but today the car came back in to check the MIL again,but was not able to communicate with all the system module. my first check was the fuse and ground at the DLC connector,looks normal.i thought it was my scanner problem so i got another one from my friend but still not working.

second car is Ssang Yong Stavic 2.0 Diesel :
the car came in because of the Engine Check Light & SRS Check Light,but i couldn't communicate with PCM and SRS as well,but i could communicate with the TCM,ABS,etc.(if the power and ground of DLC Connector issue,i could no way communicate with the rest modules).
the car runs fine,no startability issue or what so ever.

this is really a tough one to me,spend the whole day checking the car inside out,but nothing was found and do not know what to do next.

not sure if you guys have any similar experience with these.

thanks guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15328 by derekoliveira
Hi, maybe a broken wire between ECM/SRS and DLC, if they use the same pin on the DLC!? Get a diagram to check!!!

More
6 years 5 months ago #15334 by Tyler
For our info, what year is the S40? That'll allow me to look up a network diagram, and see how the scanner talks to the ECM. ;-)

About your Ssang Yong... I'm not going to be able to find a diagram on that one. :blink: Do you have access to a repair manual? Something that'll show how the DLC is wired to the other modules on the car.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15336 by Evanlip
hi,Tyler,the Volvo is a 2003 model with 1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A engine.
regarding the Ssang Yong,i will try to get the repair manual.it's kinda hard to get a repair manual here in my country,i bought most of the manual online but its europe spec,but i use them for a reference.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 5 months ago #15358 by Noah
Maybe worth mentioning, check the pins on your scanner connector.
I have been letting people borrow mine and ended up with a bent pin that resulted in hit or miss communication problems...

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 5 months ago #15361 by Evanlip
hi,Noah,thanks for the tips,i have checked those pins after reading your message,those are in good shape.

what else i can check?

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #15362 by Andy.MacFadyen
I have found sometimes if you fail to connect with one module the scantool won't connect to other modules until you key off and unplug and restart the scantool. The other issue I find is some manufacturers 16 pin sockets don't contact the pins of the scantool plug as well as others especially as the pins on some far eastern made scantool 16 pin plugs are not exactly to spec.
On the Ssang Yon have you tried plain vanilla OBD2 to talk to the PCM ?

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15363 by Evanlip
good day,Andy.MacFadyen,appreciate your sharing.
"I have found sometimes if you fail to connect with one module the scantool won't connect to other modules until you key off and unplug and restart the scantool. The other issue I find is some manufacturers 16 pin sockets don't contact the pins of the scantool plug as well as others especially as the pins on some far eastern made scantool 16 pin plugs are not exactly to spec."
i have tried multiple times of key off and reconnecting the scan tool,even tried with the other brand of scanner,still the same.

may i know wat is plain vanilla OBD2?

thank you

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #15364 by Andy.MacFadyen
Sometimes trying to connect to a PCM in manufacturer specific mode can be unreliable especially with low volume imports, I keep a very cheap OBD2 bluetooth dongle which always seems to connect.
The Volvo ISTR a Paul made a video on a Volvo with coms problems that turned out to be due to water ingress into module the scuttle/dash area.
----Edit
Found it -- it was a 2006 S80

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15365 by Evanlip
oh gosh,its a premium channel video isn't it?i couldn't view it,its not available in my country.
anyway i could view it?
thank you

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds