Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

FIXED 2000 xterra 3.3 NO START

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #15169 by gilbert
God bless you my brothers and sisters.
First of all Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
Ok I have this Xterra with a no start i have spark , fuel, compression although compression varies from 135 psi to 160 . Spark is a little weak but i think it's enough to start. I got this engine from the junk yard it was leaking from the head gasket and they repaired it I think they got the timing wrong. When i open the throttle all the way it kind of backfires and that is what leads me think it's the timing. What do you all think i should check next sorry I forgot to mention i do have injector pulse. Question if i move the distributer one tooth will this get the truck to start or want to start so that i can know for sure if it's the timing?
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by gilbert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #15178 by gilbert
Replied by gilbert on topic 2000 xterra 3.3 NO START
God bless you my brother's and sister's.
Brother I think there is a difference because the engine is cold and who knows how long it's been sitting at the junk yard. I think that with this compression it should start maybe not run right but start I'm I wrong.
Thank you brother for your quick response.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by gilbert.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15180 by EricGoodrich
Being a junkyard engine ANYTHING is possible. Start at the beginning and check everything, make no assumptions. For example, you don't just need ignition, you need ignition to occur at the right time. And, the ignition need to be powerful enough to happen in a high compression environment. The spark should jump a 1 inch gap no problem outside the engine. The injectors need to have command, they need to open, fuel needs to flow and the pressure needs to be adequate. It seems like I'm knit picking but junkyard engines are complete unknowns and could have any of a number of problems, even more than one. Plus, there are things that can go wrong with the swap as well. Connectors plugged into the wrong components. I've seen that a number of times. Bad grounds. Bad positives. I've seen distributors installed 180 degrees out of phase.

You can ask about methods for testing things but nobody is going to be able to actually perform the tests and I expect you're going to be testing a lot of things before you figure this one out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gilbert, graywave

More
6 years 5 months ago #15187 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2000 xterra 3.3 NO START
Eric is right on, maybe regroup and start over? If you suspect timing, then a relative compression test might be a good idea, preferably with an ignition sync. That'll tell you if they got the belt on halfway right, AND if the spark timing is anywhere close.

Or, go for a timing light on the crank. I dunno what the spec is, but 10 degrees BTDC sounds reasonable. If it's way off, then dig deeper into the distributor installation, timing belt, ect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gilbert, graywave

More
6 years 5 months ago #15203 by gilbert
The truck is fixed the timing was off I put it on the right spot and she is running smooth.
Thank you all for your help.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15235 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2000 xterra 3.3 NO START
Another fix from gilbert. B) So, was the belt off, or just the distributor? How'd you end up setting it correctly?

More
6 years 5 months ago #15279 by gilbert
The fix was the distributor was 180 off so i just put it on the right cylinder and she's running fine.
Again thank you all for your help.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15330 by gilbert
God bless you my brother's and sister's.
Hey Monde I had to put it on top dead center then I looked at the rotor and found out that it was off.
I had to remove the distributor and turn the rotor to the number one cylinder .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monde

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds