Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Grand Cherokee ignition timing

More
6 years 5 months ago #15120 by Jasondo
Ignition timing on cylinder 1 at idle is bouncing around 9 degrees and while driving when I leave a from a stop just touching the throttle it jumps up too 36 or 38 degrees and comes down in degrees the faster I go. That doesn't seem right too me. I would of thought it would start around 9 and go up in degrees the faster you go. I have the 4.0 liter in the grand Cherokee. If the timing isn't working right what should I look at first?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15185 by Tyler
Hey Jasondo! I've been looking at some of my old captures, and I'm not sure that you're necessarily looking at a problem. To be honest, I don't look at spark advance all that much on most vehicles, except on some cases of low power. Is there a specific symptom you're experiencing? Or are you just concerned about the spark advance by itself?

What year is your Jeep? For comparison, this is a capture I took off an '02 Grand Cherokee, no issues. There's a couple times where the spark advance goes up to around 30 degrees on initial throttle application.

www.scanshare.io/share/Iynbp_Qx8EKduuTRHGeVIA

Since the MAP and TPS are the primary load inputs on this engine, they're the ones that the PCM will look at for spark timing. For comparision, I also looked at a 4.7L from a 2000 Grand Cherokee, and it has the same kind of spark advance behavior.

www.scanshare.io/share/Jf4XS3bVRk2RD71Ij3K2cw

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Jasondo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds