Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2007 F150 V8 4.6L VIN W EGR System Module (ESM)

More
6 years 5 months ago #14963 by BillyYoder
Good morning Paul,

Hope you are doing well brother. I need some help please. I have been helping this shop in Delaware for about two weeks, off and on, try to diagnose a P0106 MAP/BARO Sensor Range/Performance. MAP at idle reads 2.6 VDC. Should be approximately 1.5VDC.
Before I started helping them, they had already replaced the ESM three times. One aftermarket and two OE Motorcrafts.

I have guided them to perform OE diagnostic procedures with results detailed below.

Inspected Throttle for sludge/carbon build up.
Verified by backprobe: MAP 5Vref, RTN, and Signal at KOEO
Map signal voltage at KOEO = 4.41VDC
MAP Vref = 5VDC
MAP GND = 0.04VDC

Scan tool reads MAP at KOEO of 14.7 psiA
EVR at idle is not energized according to scan tool.

The only way to get the MAP voltage to normal and make code clear is by removing the Vacuum supply at the EVR port. Plug the removed vacuum line and the MAP signal voltage drops to 1.5 VDC at idle and code goes away. Plug the vacuum line back into the EVR supply port and the signal voltage goes back up to 2.6 VDC.

Also notice at idle the EVR vent port always has vacuum coming from it. I thought the EVR should not be venting vacuum until it's controlled by the ECM during regulated EGR control. Not at idle.

Is this EVR suppose to be leaking vacuum all the time at idle or during times of no EGR valve actuation/regulation?

See attached file of ESM with Vacuum ports identified.

File Attachment:

File Name: FordESMVac...tsID.pdf
File Size:165 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: FordESMVac...tsID.pdf
File Size:165 KB

Thank you, You and Your Family Have a GOD Blessed Thanksgiving.

Billy
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #14964 by Ben
Hey it's been awhile since I had my fingers in one of these but it seems to me that the vent should be open to egr port only and never to engine side vacuum. I suspect Either the lines are crossed(which would be hard to do since it comes assembled to egr valve) or the seals are not sealing in the vsv. It may be worth a try swapping the vacuum and egr port and recheck egr operation ? Hard to believe 1 aftermarket and 2 oems would have same problem though....

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #15005 by bruce.oliver
Have you checked engine vacuum? Are both vacuum hoses good? Both hoses should have vacuum, about 18" Seems like you've got good power and ground, so that really only leaves actual vacuum since its had 3 different ESMs and you experience the same code with all 3
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by bruce.oliver.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15013 by Tyler
I see that the PCM isn't commanding EGR flow at idle, but is it possible that there's a partial short on the EVR wire that's causing the EGR to open slightly at idle? Not enough to cause a running issue, but enough for the MAP to notice. A voltage check on the EVR wire at the ESM with the engine running would confirm/deny this.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds