Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED] 2003 Hyundai Elantra Timing Belt Walking

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #14673 by scarney
Hi,

I am working on finishing up my first timing belt job on a 2003 Hyundai Elantra. I am having trouble where the belt is walking either towards the engine or away from the engine. Does anyone have any tips, I am really stuck on this one. Best bet is to check out my YouTube video where I explain the problem. www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=KFzBk840rN4
I can get the belt walk toward or away from the engine, anywhere but right in the middle. If the belt walks towards the engine, it seems to be scrubbing a bit against a flange on the back side of the tensioner. If it walks away from the engine, it seems like it might okay, since it's blocked down beneath by the crankshaft pulley. I really need some help here. Thanks.

Steve
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by scarney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #14678 by Ben
Hey good job on the timing belt your almost done don't worry about it walking to 1 edge or the other they will do that . That's what the lips on the tensioner and crank pulley are for to keep it from walking to far. Go ahead and put it back together make sure everything is tight and properly adjusted(go for the higher end of adjustment on the tensioner so as belt wears it doesn't come out of spec.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 6 months ago #14687 by Chad

scarney wrote: Hi,

www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=KFzBk840rN4

The link takes me to this:

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:

More
6 years 6 months ago #14690 by Ben
If you past the video id in the YouTube search bar it will come up

KFzBk840rN4

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 6 months ago #14691 by scarney

I think this link should work. The other link was the link from the video section of my account.

Steve

More
6 years 6 months ago #14698 by scarney
Hmmm, that's really interesting, also a relief. I've been trying forever to keep the belt on straight. I actually talked to another person today who said not to worry about it as well. Any other opinions from anyone else?

Steve

More
6 years 6 months ago #14712 by Tyler
I actually looked up the procedure on this belt the other day, and the tensioning procedure is very poorly written. :angry: It mostly comes out to, "Turn the tensioner 'till it's tight." This is why I like hydraulic tensioners. :lol:

More
6 years 6 months ago #14718 by EricGoodrich
It's good that you're being thorough and questioning something that doesn't look right to you. That's a good habit to keep. The tracking of that belt looks fine to me. If you've ever seen an engine running without toning covers you'd see that the belt can track all over the place. but, If the belt stays anywhere on the pulley put that thing back together and start the engine. I've seen belts ride on the inside and I've seen belts ride on the outside. As long as it's not hanging off or rubbing on the timing covers it'll be fine. The only time I've seen a tracking problem is when there have been bad bearings. For example, a water pump bearing went once and when I took the covers off half the belt was missing and there was a ton of black rubber powder in the covers. From what I see in your video, it looks just fine. Coming from someone who has done hundreds of timing belts.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15395 by scarney
Thanks to everyone for their input. Where I am ending up on this is if the belt is completely on the sprocket, but not perfectly centered, it's not a problem. I've put the belt back on now and haven't any problems in the short time I've driven the car.

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds