Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2002 Impala 3.8L ECU Evap system monitor not-ready

More
7 years 8 months ago #1491 by tom.dewey
6:38pm

Hi Paul,

I was wondering if you could give me some direction with my 2002 Impala 3.8L. It failed NH inspection in March and the MIL had come on a week before with a P0440. I cleared it before the inspection. It failed because of the Evap system not being in a ready state. I drove it for ~~ 500 miles and it is still in the Evap monitor not ready state. No more Evap MIL codes since. Do you know of any class evap system problems I can look at with this vehicle? It's not the gas cap. I don't have a smoke machine or a high end bi-directional scan tool.

I don't know why if there is an Evap monitor problem, why there are no ECU failure codes being set..

Thanks,

Tom

Type a message...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #1493 by Tyler
Hey Tom, welcome to the forums!

For our information, is the EVAP monitor the only one that hasn't completed, or are there other monitors still incomplete? I ask because some vehicles are very picky about the order in which they run monitors. A borderline O2, for example, can stop the whole process.

I was going to ask about fuel level, as the EVAP monitor will usually only run between 3/4 and 1/4 fuel levels, but then you said you drove it 500 miles... I'm sure you filled up somewhere in there!

I understand that you don't have a fancy scanner, but do you have access to scan data? Good ol' Global OBD data will work. Mostly I'm interested in checking the ECT and IAT PIDs to make sure they more or less agree. After sitting overnight, both sensors should read within a few degrees of one another.

There's a fantastic PDF on GM monitor enable conditions that you can reference if you're looking at scan data:

service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/pdf/2002/2002file4.pdf

Down on page 34 is the criteria for P0440. How hot has it been in your area recently? One of the enable conditions is an ambient temperature of less that 86 degrees, or 30 degrees celsius. If it never goes below that, then the test will never run.

More
7 years 8 months ago #1496 by tom.dewey
OK, thanks for the tips. I'll check the ECT and IAT sensor readings and then rescan after it's warmed up. I wish GM would better explain the hierarchy of the dependencies of these ECU drive monitors.

Tom

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 8 months ago #1526 by Noah
Hi Tom,
Like Tyler said, temperature and fuel level are critical. I prefer the fuel level to be right around half a tank for this, some times the 1/4 and 3/4 marks are too borderline.
Have you checked for other trouble codes/pending codes? That PDF Tyler posted is very helpful in describing the enable criteria for the P0440.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 8 months ago #1532 by tom.dewey
The P0440 happened exactly 1 time and no other DTC's since. This is why I ping'd this forum as at to what GM's ECU is looking for in the readiness status of the emission drive monitors...

Tom

More
7 years 8 months ago #1533 by tom.dewey
I wish Paul Danner would do a deep dive on this subject for a future video..

Tom

More
7 years 8 months ago #1534 by tom.dewey
This subject is probably a major hair pulling out experience for other owners too; trying to get through state inspection/emissions yet there are no DTC's, and the MIL is off.

TD

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds