Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

At My Wits End!

More
6 years 5 months ago #14872 by bruce.oliver
Replied by bruce.oliver on topic At My Wits End!

BOBBA LOUIE wrote:

Code:
I'm starting to believe there's a cam timing issue, but want to satisfy myself that the left side cat is not plugged.

Bank 1 -25
Bank 2 +25

If these fuel trims are caused by a plugged exhaust it will be on bank 1. Let's say the engine is drawing in 50 grams of air. The pcm assumes bank 1 is getting 25 grams and bank 2 is getting 25 grams. But the B1 cat is plugged so bank one is getting less air than the pcm thinks it is so the O2 sensor throttles back the fuel so you get negative trims. B2 is actually getting more air than the pcm thinks so the O2 sensors tell the pcm to add fuel so you get positive fuel trims.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BOBBA LOUIE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #14873 by bruce.oliver
Replied by bruce.oliver on topic At My Wits End!
If it needs chains this engine doesn't have any keyways on the cams or cam gears. You can't replace chains without the special tools and you will have to pull the engine
The following user(s) said Thank You: BOBBA LOUIE

More
6 years 5 months ago #14880 by BOBBA LOUIE
Replied by BOBBA LOUIE on topic At My Wits End!
Thanks, Bruce! That's what I was thinking while re-reading your first message. Since the Bank 1 Cat is clear, it's almost a cinch there's a cam timing problem. I still want to get the Sensor out just to check the pressure..

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #14918 by BOBBA LOUIE
Thanks, Bruce! That's what I was thinking while re-reading your first message. Since the Bank 1 Cat is clear, it's almost a cinch there's a cam timing problem. I still want to get the Sensor out just to check the pressure.

Well, I satisfied myself that there is no restriction on either side. Both sides have a back pressure of Zero at 3000 RPM.

It's going back together and I'll work on getting a few other items working as they should and when the Cam Timing Set gets here, I'll check that. If no joy then, it will get driven until I can get to the Ford Dealer that's about 60 miles away. There's a TSB about a reflash of the PCM, depending on the current software version.

Nothing but fun..
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by BOBBA LOUIE. Reason: Update

More
6 years 4 months ago #15683 by BOBBA LOUIE
Here's a brief update:

I was finally able to get back to working on the beast. Bank #1 camshaft was a solid 10 degrees late at the minimum (How can this happen?) . Bank #1, not as bad, but off a bit. The roller followers are ready to go back on and then, all the stuff I had to loosen and move aside for clearance to work on it and the other stuff that had to be removed to even see where I was!.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15684 by Justin
Replied by Justin on topic At My Wits End!
Is the upstream oxygen sensor harness reversed left bank going to right oxygen sensor and right bank going to left oxygen sensor?

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #15685 by BOBBA LOUIE
I seriously doubt that. Even though I have very little history of the car, That would be a major project, just to get the harnesses swapped so the connectors would reach. I may do a pin out test, just to be sure. This has certainly been an interesting, educational and frustrating challenge.

Interesting thought and anything's possible. I know. Iv'e see a lot of foul-ups! Thanks.

Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by BOBBA LOUIE. Reason: Comment added & correction

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds