Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

New MAF and Fuel Trim

More
7 years 8 months ago #1388 by Charles Acosta
Hello. Two months ago I had a lean condition when my RPM was high. Turn out to be a dirty MAF with a Baro reading that was too low. Cleaning it didn't help so changing the part was the only option. On the test drive data I noticed LT high and ST negative which I believe is the relearning process. At the same time the O2 sensors respond rich when I push down on the throttle. Curious to find out what the numbers will look like once the memory is set, I get the same readings like I described above each time and it's my fourth time doing so. Is the computer still trying to adapt? Is this what I normally should see when I accelerate? The test drive screenshot was done today and the three previous are the same since changing out the MAF. Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #1397 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic New MAF and Fuel Trim
The thing to remember here is that fuel trim doesn't come into play under heavy acceleration, WOT, and a few other driving conditions.
I'm looking at the the upstream o2's both going rich simultaneously under what looks to be an acceleration event. (TPS% or voltage is a good one to get during these tests so you can tell how you're driving the car at any point in time.)
That is exactly how they should react under heavy throttle, which indicates the MAF is reporting correctly. Also the LTFT and STFT are countering each other, which is another good sign that it's fixed. The fuel trim at that moment is not as important. The LTFT does come into play when determining normal baseline fueling during that cell of the fuel map. You could try a keep alive memory reset or disconnect the battery for a period and wipe out all the learned values to see how it reacts now after the repair. Driving it should also get it to alter it's fueling strategy over time. If it's running good and there's no engine light, I'd be tempted to let well enough alone

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Noah. Reason: punctuation
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles Acosta

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #1399 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic New MAF and Fuel Trim

This is good video showing the procedure. You'll notice he's not even monitoring fuel trim during the acceleration test.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Noah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles Acosta

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds