Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2002 Ford Ranger 2.3L I4 Crazy Fuel Trims in Drive

More
6 years 6 months ago #13970 by TheMechanic512
History Codes: P0171,P0442,P1537
P0171 - Fixed by incorrect PCV hose that was fitting too loose on PCV valve causing vacumn leak
P0442- Not concerned for fuel trim and stall problem
P1537- Fixed by vacuum hose not attached to intake manifold running to IMRC solenoid

I already cleaned the MAF sensor which was a little dirty and TB and cleared CEL. My question is at idle LTFT is -7% and STFT is -0.8% BUT AS SOON AS I PUT IT IN DRIVE LTFT SPIKES UP TO 25% . O2SB1S1 is a little erratic and switches Rich lean but then leans out or stays rich for a while. I already made a vacuum leak and O2 sensor leans out, any input is greatly appreciated.. Thank Y'all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #13997 by cheryl hartkorn
sounds like maybe an air intake boot that flexes from engine torque. have you power braked in and checked trims??

More
6 years 6 months ago #14011 by Tyler
What does the short term do when the long term swings to 25%? Mostly wondering if high long term is a learned value from the lean condition you fixed already. Have you cleared the KAM since the repairs?

If the short term doesn't work to counter the 25%, then look at the intake boot like Cheryl suggested. :lol:

More
6 years 6 months ago #14025 by TheMechanic512
Intake tube is good and no tares, in Park STFT = .8%, LTFT=-7% as soon as i put in gear STFT slowly increases from -6 on up but stops @ -8, LTFT stays a 25%.Cleared codes with scanner before already. I just found out it has Fault Codes PO500 VSS sensor Circuit Fault, I think this issue might be electrical since VSS shares grounds with ACT Sensor,MAP Sensor,TP sensor,CMP Sensor,02 Sensors and Digital Transmission Sensor. I checked ground at VSS and it was @ .80 mv with key on, PCM supplies ground.I will continue to diagnose :)

More
6 years 6 months ago #14050 by TheMechanic512
Ok so I disconected the battery to delete the KAM since I don’t know how to do it with a Autel Scanner and the LTFT is better now (Thanks Tyler) I guess Fords are weird like that. Now it idles good and once I put it into drive it doesn’t bog down anymore and LTFT is -8%. I want to ship it but the damn O2B1S1 is bothering me since it leans out and richens slowly and it’s not switching normally,
I’m thinking it might be going bad.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds