Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

P0171 code/ runs lean

More
6 years 7 months ago #13776 by bensauto
Hello! I'm working on a 2011 Nissan Altima 3.5L engine. This car sets a p0171 pretty consistently. Trims indicate a lean condition on both banks although bank 1 shows a slightly worse lean condition. For example: Bank 1 will read 128 n Bank 2 125. Trims get a little better @ 2500 rpms but not much @ all. A/F ratio sensors seem to be reading accurately(I can add fuel and they move rich, voltages look good) I've replaced MAF thinking it was skewed, no help. Smoked intake, checked for vacuum leaks. Ran off different fuel supply. Fuel pressure is good at 51 psi. Performed injector balance test(they're good). While driving today p0171 did not set but once it idled in the shop a bit then it did. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry if I'm not clear on something...ask n I'll try to clear it up. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13781 by Andy.MacFadyen
It really sounds like a vacuum leak they can be devils to find especially on a V engine. Check not only the manifold and air duct after the MAF but check the air duct to the air filter.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 7 months ago #13783 by cheryl hartkorn
have you checked the purge valve for a leak?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

More
6 years 7 months ago #13785 by bensauto
Replied by bensauto on topic P0171 code/ runs lean
This car is missing the intake "pipe" that runs from the air box to the grille. Are u thinking something like this could create lean conditions?

More
6 years 7 months ago #13786 by bensauto
Replied by bensauto on topic P0171 code/ runs lean
I pinched off the rubber hose to the purge solenoid...it didn't make any difference in the trims.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13801 by cheryl hartkorn
did you smoke the intake cold? what about a leaking brake booster? worth a check

More
6 years 7 months ago #13804 by Andy.MacFadyen
As long as the air filter and its' case are intact I would think it would be Okay, but I always keep in mind any change to the induction can throw the MAF calibration off.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 7 months ago #13873 by John Clark
Replied by John Clark on topic P0171 code/ runs lean
How many miles on this vehicle? On my 08 Odyssey I had some lean conditions that, while not bad enough to throw a code, turned out to be skewed O2 sensors (AF sensors upstream and regular O2's downstream.) Vehicle had 170K and four new O2's finally solved the problem and it runs like a new car.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13879 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic P0171 code/ runs lean
I guess the missing tube is possibly throwing the MAF off... But, that tube is well ahead of the filter, correct? Unless there's something in the filter that's screwing with laminar airflow across the sensor.

I see that you smoked the intake with no luck. Have you happened to try carb/brake cleaner? I usually hate using those to find leaks, but it may be worthwhile in this case. There's a vacuum canister on the front of the intake that's part of an intake butterfly system. There's a check valve in the hoses that'll prevent smoke from showing the leak, but can be found with spray.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13933 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:P0171 code/ runs lean
I saw one if Paul's videos where a missing air box caused a lean condition. That might not be the same though. Could it be missing a screen in front of the maf sensor?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

More
6 years 7 months ago #13939 by AlphaMM
Replied by AlphaMM on topic Re:P0171 code/ runs lean
o2 can make it run lean as well, have you checked it; at higher rpm does it go back to normal?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds