Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2012 F150 battery drain

More
6 years 7 months ago #12835 by fishface5
I have this 2012 F150 .The battery goes down over night, the charging system is working just fine the battery is 1yr old and has passed all testing. I did a parasitic drain test and after all modules went to sleep it had 0.020ma draw so I went ahead and put a new battery in it and in 2 days it went down. So tested the drain again and it is still at 0.020 once everything times out. Not sure how to tackle this one. Any advise would be helpfull

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #12836 by Andy.MacFadyen
Did you check for drain through the alternator cable ? With single bad diode quite often the alternator will pass a charging voltage test and supply enough juice to charge the battery but drain the battery with the engine off. Simple test is disconnect the alternator overnight and check the battery voltage in the morning.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 7 months ago #12839 by fishface5
Replied by fishface5 on topic 2012 F150 battery drain
Ok but wouldn't the parasitic drain check that I did at the battery eliminate the alternator circuit since its hooked up to it and since my reading was in the safe zone
0.020ma

More
6 years 7 months ago #12844 by fishface5
I also did a ripple test and the diodes looked good that way any how

More
6 years 7 months ago #12993 by MAHR
Replied by MAHR on topic 2012 F150 battery drain
Hi,
Please verify that your battery current drain is indeed 0,020mA.If so this would be OK.I presume it is 0.2A.
Check all the fuses with multimeter set on mV scale.The reading on fuse should be 0.00 or 0.01mV. Wait that all modules went to sleep.
Make shore that all the lights incl.trunk lights are off.The multimeter should show you on which fuse you have current going through.
Best of luck.

More
6 years 7 months ago #12998 by fishface5
Thanks, It is definitely going down to 19ma when every thing goes to sleep.
I watched it all day and it stayed around that. Now when I went and opened the driver door to get the key and lock it for the eve. the meter went to 1.6amps and then went down from there and it hovered around 206ma for like 10 minutes or better and then it went up to 1.6amp range and then went down slowly to 19ma. Now after seeing that I then un hooked the meter and reconnected it and it went from 1.6amps or so and then went downward and didn't go up all of a sudden like it did with the door opening. I asked another ford tech on you tube and he says they are noted for the cluster waking up other networks due to it losing the park signal

More
6 years 7 months ago #13014 by MAHR
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHi again,
Make sure that you can acces to fuse boxes and at the same time check on which fuse you have current draw.Do not wire your meter in series .You have to measure the fuse by setting meter to mV(when modules are in sleep mode) If the problem is in instrument cluster this link might help you.

Have a nice day

More
6 years 7 months ago #13015 by MAHR
Hi
If you dont see the link,than go to ebay and type in ( 2011-2014 Ford F150 F-150 Instrument Cluster Repair Dash Light Staying on fix)
Regards

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #27277 by gzukoff
Replied by gzukoff on topic 2012 F150 battery drain
So reviving an almost dead thread ..

The "park switch" may be the cause of the parasitic draw,
it's an inexpensive switch that sends a shutdown signal to the BCM. When it goes bad the dash lights do not shut off and it drains the battery.
Fords fix is to replace the whole shifter assembly at around $650.00, they do not sell just the switch.
Here is the replacement switch with an more detailed explanation of why it happens.

ebay item 292931561061
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by gzukoff.

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds