Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

How to diagnose a P0139?

More
6 years 8 months ago #12833 by Exranger06
I tried searching the forum but didn't find anything. 2004 Honda CR-V LX 5 speed manual - check engine light recently came on, sometimes it turns off by itself, and sometimes it comes back on. I scanned for codes, and the only code that comes up is P0139 - O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (bank 1 sensor 2). Car runs perfectly fine, no drivability issues. I don't want to throw a new o2 sensor at it until I verify that that is the problem. What tests can I do to verify? I have an Equus 3160 scanner that can view live data.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12859 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:How to diagnose a P0139?
I believe you should get a response from the post cat o2 sensor by introducing propane to the intake.

This is a handle little tool to have for this.

GTC ST05 Oxygen Sensor Tester and Simulator www.amazon.com/dp/B001TCWLO6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mV-TzbQA54G9D

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

More
6 years 8 months ago #12864 by cj1
Replied by cj1 on topic How to diagnose a P0139?
You could do some quick snap throttles and observe sensor voltage change.
Should change within a sec or two of the snap throttle from the normal state.

If no exhaust leaks near sensor then probably sensor not responsive enough.

No other codes?
Fuel trims normal?

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12870 by Andy.MacFadyen
The P0139 is a self-test generated by the engine computer as the engine reaches working temperature. The car in running fine because the downstream sensor on the car has not part in the control of the fuel injection. The job of the downstream sensor is simple to check if the cat convertor is doing its job.
It is fairly easy to check if the P0139 is responding using scan data by comparing the output of the upstream sensor (B1SS1) with the downstream sensor (B1S2).
The upstream sensor (B1S1) when the engine is warm continously fluctuates up and down between 0.1v and 0.9v at about 1 full cycle per second the voltage.

The downstream sensor (B1S2) behaves very different when the engine, cat and sensor are warm will look completely different from the upstream. When full warm the voltage output of B1S2 will normally spend most its time either at around 0,9v or 0.1v.
If after a few minutes running you still see it flat lined at 0.5v tthen it it is slam dunk the sensor isn't working, but test the sensor heater circuit before swapping the sensor. If the downstream sensor isn't reading around 0.5v but is up around 0.9v or down at 0.1v then you need to test further.
This is how normal upstrem (Blue) and downstream (green) sensor repond to fluttering throttle pedal to drive the fueling rich and suddenly releasing the throttle to drive the exhaust lean. Fluttering the throttle is simple depressing the throttle about 1/2" on repeatedly for a few seconds to force the exhaust rich, then releasing it to force the exhaust lean. If durring the test you can't force the output voltage high (0.9v=rich) and return quickly low (0.1v = lean) then you have a slow or dead sensor. Again check the sensor heater wiring before swapping the sensor.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12887 by Andy.MacFadyen
This garphic illustrates a normal Upstream and downstream O2 sensor response on a warm engine better.
By working the throttle a small ammount you can force the downstream O2 sensor rich (voltage around 0.9v) then rapidly lifting off and allowing the engine back to normal idle after a few seconds delay the downstream sensor should read lean (around 0.1v) . If by working the throttle you can't force the downstream sensor rich and then lean you a sensor issue.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12888 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:How to diagnose a P0139?
Good info!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

More
6 years 8 months ago #12964 by Exranger06
Replied by Exranger06 on topic How to diagnose a P0139?
Thank you, hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to do some troubleshooting. Will report back.

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds