Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Unusual cam sensor waveform...

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12736 by Wadmancpu
The top waveform is the cam sensor on a 2001 grand am with a 3.4l. It's throwing a cam sensor out of range/performance code. Anyone ever see a waveform like this?

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Wadmancpu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12737 by Gjauto
What is the purple trace showing? Did you check the power and ground going to the sensor?

More
6 years 8 months ago #12738 by Wadmancpu
The purple trace is the 3x crank sensor. Both power and ground are good. This sensor was replaced 2 weeks ago because it keeps throwing the code. The problem disappeared for those 2 weeks and is now back. The crank sensor trace was not meant to be there.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12739 by Gjauto
To me it looks like it still has some kind of pattern. Which is weird. Did this picture repeat itself or was it random? I think the internal parts of sensor are bad. Do a bypass test. Yours is a pull up design, here is some pics.

It might fire the spark plugs, or injectors. But I would pull up cam data PID on scanner, and watch it say yes/no.
If it does you have either bad sensor, or mechanical issue causing erratic signal.

There's some videos that Paul has that might help, part 1 and 2.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12740 by Wadmancpu
Thanks gjauto. It's a pretty repetitive signal. Issues are bad gas mileage, doesn't always start immediately (always second time) and of course the code. I'll do the bypass test and let you know what I find. I'm with you on the internal sensor idea.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12741 by Andy.MacFadyen
Channel 1 (yellow) looks like the channel is set to AC input --- not possible on the Hantek 1008 but there is an AC software setting on other Hantek scopes.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds