Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

98 chevy suburban v8 5.7 liter hesitating stalling

More
6 years 8 months ago #12423 by Rod28
Hi! I have a 98 chevy suburban with a v8 5.7 engine i took it to a detailers garage who cleaned the engine and engine bay with pressurized water, i cranked it and ran but start hesitating, revs went up and down ( down like trying to stall and up like trying to compensate something to keep it idling) after a few minutes it died! And not possible to run! Cranks ok but no start. I'm a DIY so have no advanced tools or pro scanner. I pulled out codes with an elm327 scanner and the only one was p1351 something related to the ignition circuit, i cleared out the code and it started again but hesitation still there. On my way to a garage for a repair it started misfiring randomly of course then a p0300 came in and also a code about the throttle position sensor making reference to a performance circuit. It accelerates but while accelerating revs go down like trying to stall again so i have to towed it back to the garage where they didn't get with the failure. It seems to me more like a current issue like if suddenly spark was not present. About 4 years ago it has a similar failure and a mechanic found out that ignition coil was arching and that causes the engine like stalling and idling. AS I DIY the only tools i have is a test light, a multimeter and that elm327 scanner. Before i took it to the garage i tried another ignition control module and another ignition coil that i had from past repairs but i do not know if those were good cause it does the same thing even with those spare parts. Any help please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12429 by Chad
Check your crank sensor connection.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Chad.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12433 by Chad
You might want to remove the cap and spray some wd-40 on/in the distributor and under the cap, as well. (WaterDisplacement-40).

Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Chad.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12434 by Rod28
Thanks pole71 I've already done that as well and it is good :( i checked for resistance with the ohmmeter, harness is tight and no water trace on any of the wires!

More
6 years 8 months ago #12435 by Rod28
Ok let me try that! Would it be possible for the distributor cap to be broken inside if hot by getting the pressurized cold water?

More
6 years 8 months ago #12446 by Chad

Rod28 wrote: Ok let me try that! Would it be possible for the distributor cap to be broken inside if hot by getting the pressurized cold water?

I have taken cars to the car wash and high-pressure sprayed them many, many times. I always bring someone along to keep the rpm's up. (And I always take a can of wd-40 with me, just in case). I have never damaged a cap. Neither from pressure, nor temperature change. But, I suppose, that doesn't mean it is not possible.

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds