Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED] 1990 Camaro Iroc 5.0L ECT circuit

• Chad
  • Chad's Avatar Topic Author
  • I am not a parts changer.
More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12407 by Chad
ECT sensor was replaced by another shop. Scan data shows ECT in Degrees Fahrenheit, only. Voltage at the sensor with a Some-what warm engine was 1.24v. ECT pid was a fixed 104. ECT code stored. I assumed 104 was a substituted value, due to the ECT code. I cleared the code and rechecked. I bounce around the shop like popcorn, so after the code was cleared enough time had passed that the engine was cold. No code, cold engine, ECT pid 75. Signal wire voltage check 2.5v. I let it warm up and the scan data temperature never increased beyond 104. IR thermometer indicated 165 degrees with voltage at .4v (400mv). I disconnected the temp sensor and, as expected, the reading dropped to -38. 5v. With a test light to ground, I shorted the signal wire expecting to 260+. The value was 104. At this point, I started blaming the ECM. Backprobed at the ECM, same result.

Before I replace the ECM ,...Am I missing something? With a test light to ground, shouldn't I be able to get the data to indicate MORE than 104 degrees?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Chad. Reason: FIXED

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12417 by Andy.MacFadyen
High ressistance would produce exactly those symptoms -- it could of course be a high resistance soldered joint within the ECU or the ECU connector
I would look for green crusties

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

• Chad
More
6 years 8 months ago #12420 by Chad
Thanks for the reply, Andy.MacFadyen!

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: I would look for green crusties

Bypassing resistance problems is why I backprobed the ECM. I would expect to see much higher than 104 degrees.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12447 by Tyler
Do you have access to a variable resistor? Wondering if being able to manipulate the circuit while looking at the scan data might be the easier way to test this. i.e. if you can make the voltage PID show the whole range, but the ECT PID never plays along.

IR thermometer indicated 165 degrees with voltage at .4v (400mv).

This sounds abnormally low to me? I dunno what the temperature/voltage chart looks like for this sensor, but .4V is closer to 185/195 on most. This may be nothing. :lol:

No code, cold engine, ECT pid 75. Signal wire voltage check 2.5v. I let it warm up and the scan data temperature never increased beyond 104.

This part really makes me believe in a PCM problem. Perhaps try a battery disconnect before pulling the trigger on a replacement?

• Chad
More
6 years 8 months ago #12460 by Chad
I was confident enough that I ordered the ECM a couple days ago. It came in this morning. I installed it. I shorted the signal to ground with a test light and the PID indicated 300 degrees. :) Engine running, Temp PID reads as it should.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12470 by Tyler
Nice. B) Just curious, what was the original complaint? I mean, before this other shop replaced the ECT. Fueling issue due to the inaccurate ECT?

• Chad
More
6 years 8 months ago #12473 by Chad

Tyler wrote: Nice. B) Just curious, what was the original complaint? I mean, before this other shop replaced the ECT. Fueling issue due to the inaccurate ECT?

The story is, for whatever reason, this thing has been sitting for 5 years. It drove in...barely. Running like crap, one of the first things I checked was fuel pressure. Fuel pressure was 35 psi, down to 10, back up to 35.....I scoped the fuel pump an it looked terrible, to a flat-line, and back to terrible. New fuel pump installed...steady 45 psi. Releasing the pressure on the fuel gauge, I notice the color was a little dark. Fuel is VERY tarnished. Tank not very full, so I added 10 gallons of good gas.(I know I should have drained the tank, but there was a pre-cut hole in the trunk. So, the tank was never dropped:dry: ) Still runs like crap (and probably will until the bad gas get ran through). Won't idle. Ignition parade showed a fixed 4kv on ALL spark lines. Cap and rotor were very crusty. New Cap, Rotor, Plugs, and wires. Getting better, but it still doesn't run well. It's much better, though, and idles on it's own, at least. THIS is where I, myself, start looking at the temp sensor...you know this part, so I'll skip over it. After the New ECM was installed, if fired right up. Idled, nicely. Warmed up. The exhaust is no longer noxious (did I mention that it was? Smokey.) Tried to rev it a little and it's backfiring out the exhaust. Shut it off. Try to start it 5 minutes later, NO-START. :( I just shook my head and walked away. B) Floated back to it a couple times through the day and turned the key. No Start. I still have it. I'll get back to it, tomorrow. ;)

More
6 years 8 months ago #12532 by Tyler

pole71 wrote: The story is, for whatever reason, this thing has been sitting for 5 years. It drove in...barely...

Oh, it's one of THOSE cars. No matter what you do, at the end of the day, it's still broken! :silly:

• Chad
More
6 years 8 months ago #12540 by Chad

Tyler wrote:

pole71 wrote: The story is, for whatever reason, this thing has been sitting for 5 years. It drove in...barely...

Oh, it's one of THOSE cars. No matter what you do, at the end of the day, it's still broken! :silly:

Yep. In the last episode of the Saga, we left it with a no-start. I had, previously, stated that I had put 10 gallons of gas in it. That wasn't totally accurate. I had asked my helper to put the gas in. Turns out, no gas was put in. The no-start was, simply, no-fuel. :whistle:

Fuel added, it idles fine. Fully warmed up, the O2 signal is stuck in the 600-700mv range. Neither vacuum leak, nor added fuel would change it. Single circuit test good. New O2 sensor. O2 activity restored. I, finally, think I'm ready to test drive! Didn't make it half way down the block before I turned around and came back. Lots of misfiring. Ramped bank 1 and bank 2 injector control from the ECM.
Going in, individually, Bank1 has 1 shorted injector and Bank 2 has 3 shorted injectors.:woohoo:

To be continued.....

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds