Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo six-cylinder 4.L Engine starts then stalls Updated

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12396 by just Chad
[Fixed] 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo cylinder engine 4.L Engine starts then stalls About a minute later instrument panel iilluminates red check gauges light..

no diagnostic codes present yet except for the occasional 12, 55 which means disconnected battery end of codes

after installing fuel pump ,plugs Wires distributor cap rotor and pick up coil or camshaft sensor, along with crankshaft sensor.. To resolve crank no start issue. Gauges worked previously instrument lights function RPM function oil pressure temperature speedometer do not.
( believe it or not all those things were bad I'm not in the habit of throwing parts at something until it runs)

Put it into instrument panel diagnostic mode by pushing little black button Next to the odometer with ignition key on but not cranked and I get 158.1 eerror message but I don't know what it means..(I think it means no communication not sure No Vehicle Speed Signal)

the most important tool we have is our brain! Using it is to our advantage. (it's easy to forget this in a world of technological advancements and gadgetry)

where do I begin? (possibly with a huge amount of oil leak out of the oil pan)
what kind of probes and diagnostic tools should I buy? ( thinking about all data DIY)

I have a Haynes manual
what is a better program llike all data to get engine diagrams and circuit diagrams for my vehicle?
Or do I even need it, which brings me back to my first question I'm a mechanic out of necessity, mostly..

Thanks

updatesL

I dropped the oil pan found carbon, a very blown oil pan gasket and brushed everything down, preparing for new oil pan gasket.

Any tricks suggestions to make the installation easier than usual ? ( besides have someone else do it. :-) )

if you're interested I'll let you know if this fixes the check gauges light an the stall?

well I finally got the oil pan in and everything hooked up. Cranked it over it'll start but then stalls
took me freaking forever to put the oil pan gasket in I snapped off one bolt and had to practice my sprue extraction technique. And Messed up the threads on the one next to it, nothing A tap couldn't fix. And what did we learn always check your bolts for stretching or excessive corrosion..

I was really hoping this would fix the problem it didn't, the problem remains although my oil pressure gauge works now!
Any ideas on what to test where to look now?
I did go ahead and buy all data DIY

Is there any quick and dirty way to keep the vehicle running long enough to possibly get a code to post?
I'm almost ready to have someone come out and give me a diagnosis if they can, any suggestions on where I should look for a person who does mobile diagnostic in near Johnston County North Carolina.

What information should I be giving so that people can help, and what information is superfluous?

It wound up being a multitude of things, most of which is listed above and I had to start it a few times for the sensors to propagate and then it runs..
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by just Chad. Reason: updating post, the saga continues

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds