Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

New mustang pip sensor installed and waveform not clear

More
6 years 8 months ago #12256 by gnx547
I installed a new pip sensor on my 95 mustang 5.0 and the waveform pattern isn't a nice square wave. I dont get why the pattern isnt nice and squared. The pattern is jumping all over the place. I checked the power wire and its good and the ground is clean. Can this be a bad ground? Does this pattern show a bad ground?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12291 by jcsloan
How's the vehicle running?

The reason I"m here . . . 1999 Ford F150 4.2L 2wdr w/300,000+ miles

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12292 by jcsloan
Good article on Ford EEC-IV workings including the PIP signal. www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/EECIVInnerWorkings/

Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by jcsloan.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12300 by gnx547
The vehicle runs ok when it is warm but kinda hard to start when cold. when i unplug the spout the square wave is much cleaner but when i plug the spout back in the square pattern isnt clean. Any ideas what the problem could be? Why is it that i get a better square wave with the spout disconnected?

More
6 years 8 months ago #12322 by jcsloan
Forgot to add the link to the article. Explains how these signals are processed. www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/EECIVInnerWorkings/

More
6 years 8 months ago #12326 by gnx547
I checked continuity and power on the ign module for the spout and it is good. I checked the ground screws for the pip sensor in the distributor and they are tight. What else could be the problem? The pip sensor im using is BWD, could the new pip sensor just be bad?

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 8 months ago #12330 by Noah
I've been trying to find this for days!!
Watch this:

Has the same pip waveform you have, but I don't have time to watch the video and explain why right now.
Hope this helps!

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 8 months ago #12332 by gnx547
Dam the video isn't free. Isnt youtube getting rid of paid channels?

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12339 by Chad

gnx547 wrote: Dam the video isn't free. Isnt youtube getting rid of paid channels?

That seems to be the case. ScannerDanner is moving his Premium Channel to a private server. When the move is completed, I HIGHLY recommend subscribing. It will be the best $ you have spent on you Diagnostic education. In the mean time, I believe, you can still do a 14-day FREE trial. Try it. You won't be disappointed.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Chad. Reason: punctuation

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12640 by gnx547
I bought a new alternator and my AC ripple is still high. Its more than 50 millavolts and the wave form is still not squared. Its alittle bit better with the spout unplugged but when plugged in its not nice and squared. Possible pcm problem not able to control ac ripple and pip signal?

Here is a video showing the pip and signal changes when spout plugged in.

Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by gnx547.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12657 by Gjauto

gnx547 wrote: I installed a new pip sensor on my 95 mustang 5.0 and the waveform pattern isn't a nice square wave. I dont get why the pattern isnt nice and squared. The pattern is jumping all over the place. I checked the power wire and its good and the ground is clean. Can this be a bad ground? Does this pattern show a bad ground?

Ok I watched the video that was posted from SDPremium, and I got to say first off I think you are being led down a wrong path if your not experiencing a constant driveability / misfire concern. Perhaps the old vantage is simply missing some captures? Here's a couple screenshots from the video. Yellow is crank signal, blue is coil current ramp, green is spout signal.

This is with the Spout unplugged

This is with the Spout plugged in and showing the faulty PIP (crank sensor/ distributor)

And again but zoomed out

I'd like to start the conversation Paul left off with, which is whats truly going on with the crank signal and feedback from the spout. The "clippings" or the uneven squares are intentional, in order to increase or decrease ignition coil dwell and also adjust ignition timing.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Gjauto. Reason: Fix img links
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
6 years 8 months ago #12670 by Gjauto
I think the old scanner is lying to you considering it has a sample rate of only 2000 samples per second (2kHz)

While the Verus has a sampling rate of 6 megasamples/second (6 million samples / 6MHz)If you aren't pulling any misfire, ckp or A/F codes, and the engine is running relatively smooth, I honestly think you're just missing some captures due to low sample rate. Remember that "The Waveform Viewer in Vantage was not designed to be used like a labscope" -Snap-on
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
6 years 8 months ago #12717 by gnx547
There are no codes and no misfires but the car is hard to start when cold. When i crank it, it fires up then it will die, i have to keep my foot on the gas to prevent the car from dying. Once the car gets warmed up it idles decent. The timing is set at 10 degrees btdc. Any ideas why it is hard to start when cold?

Also why is my new alternator producing high AC ripple? It is more than 50 millavolts. Any ideas why this is happening?

More
6 years 8 months ago #12718 by gnx547
There are no codes and no misfires but the car is hard to start when cold. When i crank it, it fires up then it will die, i have to keep my foot on the gas to prevent the car from dying. Once the car gets warmed up it idles decent. The timing is set at 10 degrees btdc. Any ideas why it is hard to start when cold?

Also why is my new alternator producing high AC ripple? It is more than 50 millavolts. Any ideas why this is happening?

More
6 years 8 months ago #12723 by Gjauto
50mv isn't that bad for the ripple. 500mv to a volt or more is what I look for.

Try adding an outside fuel source and see if it starts better. Let me know

More
6 years 8 months ago #12731 by gnx547
Fuel injector cleaner?

More
6 years 8 months ago #12733 by Gjauto
If it says flammable on the can then it might work. I usually use brake clean.

Be careful

More
6 years 8 months ago #12750 by Andy.MacFadyen

Gjauto wrote: If it says flammable on the can then it might work. I usually use brake clean.

Be careful

Brake clean sprayed on to a cloth or paper towel works well.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12751 by Andy.MacFadyen

gnx547 wrote: There are no codes and no misfires but the car is hard to start when cold. When i crank it, it fires up then it will die, i have to keep my foot on the gas to prevent the car from dying. Once the car gets warmed up it idles decent. The timing is set at 10 degrees btdc. Any ideas why it is hard to start when cold?

When you look at alternator ripple you get all sorts of noise from ignition and injectors and fuel pump also the charge voltage is continuously changing under the control of thevoltage regulator.

When looking at alternator ripple with a scope I use a high frequency filter to block spikes from the ignition and concentrate on looking for regular dropouts (missing peaks) or repeated odd looking peaks.

This capture fairly typical of a good working but high mileage Denso alternator, at idle with dip beam on 116mv ripple

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gjauto

Time to create page: 0.435 seconds