Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

92 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L - Ignition Waveform Analysis

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12200 by waxerk5
Hi All,

I have checked several cylinder ignition wave forms and they all pretty much look like this. Is this an acceptable waveform?

Waveform Video

Also, this is the Coil negative terminal that is back probed to check the ignition signature. This doesn't look like the signature example provided by the MODIS. What are your thoughts about this?

Steven
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by waxerk5.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12202 by Andy.MacFadyen
The captures on your video aren't stable enough to be useful you can fix this by moving the trigger voltage setting upwards.

Also if you clip your ht probe to main coil to distributor HT lead and slow you time base (trace shows a longer time displayed on screen) you can capture a spark parade of 6 cylinder this is called a "spark Parade"--- which is very useful for tracing misfires. With a spark parade you look for a cylinder that the spark voltage pattern looks different from the rest ---- what ignition waveform guru Jim Morton calls looking at the forrest before you look at the trees. If you see a spark that dosen't fit in then go in and look at the individual spatk voltage.

Unfortuneatly I can't view your photobucket photo so can't give you any opinnion on that you can however post jpegs directly on the forum using the attachments button

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Attachments:

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12214 by waxerk5
Thanks Andy. I will modify the trigger to get the firing event captured better for single cylinder waveforms.

On the parade capture, I did try that and it only gave me 4 firing events. I thought I was doing something wrong there. Perhaps I was "zoomed in" too much with the shorter time base?

But I do have a concept question when doing that... When placing the probe on the coil wire (lead between coil and dist cap), aren't I only looking at the signal between those 2 points? OR, do I get to see the entire path from the coil to the spark plug, for every firing event for every cylinder? I'm trying to visualize what's going on when checking there.

As always, I appreciate you helping me learn these techniques and concepts.

Note: I fixed the image on my original post (not going to use photobucket any longer)

Steven

More
6 years 8 months ago #12261 by Chad

waxerk5 wrote: But I do have a concept question when doing that... When placing the probe on the coil wire (lead between coil and dist cap), aren't I only looking at the signal between those 2 points? OR, do I get to see the entire path from the coil to the spark plug, for every firing event for every cylinder?

When you clamp the probe around the coil wire, you will see the firing event for ALL cylinders. Usually, an inductive pickup is place around the #1 plug wire, also. This is used as a trigger and helps identify firing order.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12272 by waxerk5
First off, thank you guys for helping me to figure out how to better use my MODIS.

I have taken a video of the 6 cylinder parade pattern and I see 1 issue that I am concerned with.

Notice that the spark KV jumps randomly across all 6 cylinders at idle. At increased RPM, it goes away. During a snap, it also goes away. But at idle, the spiking spark KV event is taking place.

Is that a normal event or is there something wrong here with the ignition system somewhere?

Thanks guys.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12277 by Chad
The ignition system looks fine. I suspect you are running a little lean. An unstable (bouncing up and down) spark line is an indication of a lean density condition. The leaner the mixture in the cylinder, the more KV it takes to jump the air gap. Ideally, you want to see about 1.5 KV on the spark line with a duration of at least 1.3ms.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Chad.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12278 by waxerk5

pole71 wrote: The ignition system looks fine. I suspect you are running a little lean. An unstable (bouncing up and down) spark line is an indication of a lean density condition. The leaner the mixture in the cylinder, the more KV it takes to jump the air gap. Ideally, you want to see about 1.5 KV on the spark line with a duration of at least 1.3ms.

Thanks. Glad to hear it looks fine.

Speaking on the lean condition, I've already smoke tested the engine and fixed the vacuum leaks on the older rotted vacuum lines. I did not see any other location leaking any smoke, other than the throttle body bushing where the throttle pivots. It has a very small leak there, which I read was normal. This is a MAP engine and the RPM's are normal (not elevated to indicate a vacuum leak), so I believe I'm good there.

I did run an injector balance test last week and all were about the same. I had 4 injectors exactly the same and 2 others were about half of a psi off from the others. I think I'll look at the injector pulse patterns next to see how they are looking, trying to find one that may be sticking or off to create a lean condition.

Thanks again for your help.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12281 by Andy.MacFadyen
Looks fine, you have take into acount no two firing events are the same especially at idle where the engine computer will be making continuous rich-lean-rich-lean adjustments to the fueling.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds