Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Need some Powerstroke help!

More
6 years 8 months ago #12106 by Tyler
This Super Duty came in with low power when cold complaints, underboost AND overboost codes. :blink: :silly: It never got cold enough outside to reproduce the low power thing, but I did get it to buck/miss once while at WOT:

www.scanshare.io/share/_3s4NtV1NUaO6HCQ7Zp0tA

I kinda suspected a VGT issue based on the codes, but what I need help with the most is understanding the data. I may be seeing this truck again once the seasons change...

So, questions!

1.) Is the EBPDSD PID always shown in inHg? :huh: The highest value see was 235 inHg, which translates to over 100 PSI. This has got to be a scanner error, right? If you move the decimal place up one, you get 23 inHg, which is far more reasonable.

2.) If the above is true, then the desired EBP is around 12 PSI, and we're way past that in this capture. Is this EBPDSD thing BS, or am I looking at an issue?

3.) Can I use the MAF and Engine Load as a good measure of engine breathing in this situation?

Thanks! :cheer:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12114 by cheryl hartkorn
wish i could help.i dont touch diesels!

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12115 by Ro-longo
I am assuming you have a code P0299? Check out the following videos

"Silver bullets are for killing Werewolves, not fixing Cars." -Rob Longoria-
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Ro-longo. Reason: Added second video

More
6 years 8 months ago #12133 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Need some Powerstroke help!

cheryl hartkorn wrote: wish i could help.i dont touch diesels!

That may be for the best? :lol: Those diesel fumes piss off everyone else in the shop, FAST.

Ro-longo wrote: I am assuming you have a code P0299? Check out the following videos

Thanks, sir! Will do.

Also answered one of my own questions while reading about Engine Load. From the SAE document defining Load:

SAE wrote: Compression ignition engines (diesels) shall support this PID using fuel flow in place of airflow for the above calculations.

Welp, that answers that. NOT an indication of airflow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kcolden70510

More
6 years 8 months ago #12135 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Need some Powerstroke help!
Hey Tyler what is your frpr % on hard acceleration. Also is cylinder balance test working on your ultra?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 8 months ago #12138 by Tyler

Ben wrote: Hey Tyler what is your frpr % on hard acceleration. Also is cylinder balance test working on your ultra?

Hey Ben! I didn't see a FRPR PID, but I do have INJ_PRS_REG%. Same thing, or no?

www.scanshare.io/share/1M3v5ZihC0KhD7UKQ2ymGg

I think the cylinder balance test works? But I didn't run it. :blush: Missed opportunity, in retrospect.
Attachments:

More
6 years 8 months ago #12141 by Ben
Yes same thing and looks good . For reference 85% is its max so if you have 1 going that high you likely have excessive leak In the hpo system such as injector O rings or dummy plugs and an air test is best way to find it .also according to your map your hitting 20psi so that is good to for a non tuned truck

More
6 years 8 months ago #12142 by Ben
Use the balance /contribution test whenever you can .. it hasn't been working on my ultra for a while now I get some error or the other ....

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #12147 by Tyler

Ben wrote: Yes same thing and looks good . For reference 85% is its max so if you have 1 going that high you likely have excessive leak In the hpo system such as injector O rings or dummy plugs and an air test is best way to find it .also according to your map your hitting 20psi so that is good to for a non tuned truck

Nice! B) This is good stuff to know. I'm assuming I'd see a corresponding difference between injector desired and actual pressures if the regulator is going above 85%?

Between you and the videos Ro-longo posted, it seems like all was well during my test drive, and whatever was causing the P0299/P0234 didn't show up. :-( Oh well, hopefully I'll have another shot at this later this year.

The first video was awesome! :cheer: That dude wasn't even interested in EBP_DSD, and his readings matched mine at WOT, so I'm gonna ignore that PID until someone tells me not to. :lol:

Use the balance /contribution test whenever you can .. it hasn't been working on my ultra for a while now I get some error or the other ....

What version are you running on your Ultra? I'll try using it on known good trucks if I see one. Or, I'll see if the shops Autel will do it.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Tyler.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12149 by Tyler
I just realized that the dude in those videos is dead. :-(

More
6 years 8 months ago #12154 by matt.white
Yeah that was pretty sad. I was watching some of his videos as they came out. Next thing I know he's passed in a crash and his son was trying to sell his tool box on YouTube. Real sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
6 years 8 months ago #12159 by Ben

Tyler wrote: I just realized that the dude in those videos is dead. :-(

Yea that's too bad he knew a lot about those powersrrokes . Icpr won't go above 85% so think of it like this 85% actually translates to 100% so if your hard acceleration and your seeing low 80s it's not long before it's going to max it , yes you will see the difference in your commanded vs actual pressure if the leak is bad enough but your icpr will be pegged at 85% during that time , this is very useful in crank no starts and also give you an idea of the fuel system performance that the actual vs commanded won't. I think I'm on 16.2 but I'd have to double check that

Time to create page: 0.306 seconds