Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1988 Chevrolet C3500 pickup; 5.7L 350 engine; TBI fuel injection; NO SPARK

More
6 years 9 months ago #11940 by quickdraw
I have a 1988 Chevrolet C3500 pickup with a 5.7L 350 engine.

I have a NO Spark situation.

Specifics:

This is a new rebuilt crate engine that I have never started.

Everything is hooked up except coolant system (radiator, hoses, thermostat).

I'm using the following manuals:

1) Chevrolet 1988 10-30 series Service Manual
2) Chevrolet 1988 C-K Pickup Truck Light Duty Truck Fuel and Emissions Service Manual Supplement
3) Chilton General Motors Full-Size Trucks 1988-1998 Repair Manual
4) Both manuals 1) and 2) above on CD-Rom disk

This truck used to have an automatic transmission but I decided to convert to a manual transmission. I have installed the Muncie SM465 4-speed manual transmission.

I have purchased a new distributor with the accompanying new distributor cap, rotor, pick-up coil, and ignition module.
I also purchased a new external coil.
I also purchased new spark plug wires.
I also had both the new ignition module and the old ignition module tested at a local NAPA store. They both tested good.

When engine is being turned over by starter, I can see gasoline being sprayed in the top of the throttle body by both injectors.

Here are all of the tests I've conducted, using the IGNITION SYSTEM CHECK flow chart that is contained in the manual #2 above.

1) Checked spark at 2 different spark plugs while cranking. Result: no spark

2) I disconnected the 4 terminal connector at distributor and checked for spark while cranking. Result: no spark

3) I disconnected the coil wire and checked for spark while cranking. Result: no spark

4) I disconnected the 2 terminal connector at distributor, the "C/+" connector. I turned the ignition key on without starting and checked for voltage at both the "+" and "C" terminals. Result: both terminals tested at 12 plus volts.

5) I connected my test light from the tach terminal to ground, cranked engine and observed the light. Result: light held steady.

6) I disconnected the 4 terminal connector at distributor, removed the distributor cap, disconnected the pick-up coil connector from module, connected a volt meter from tach. terminal to ground, turned the ignition on and touched my test light probe to the "P" terminal of the module. Result: a slight drop in the voltage as shown on the volt meter.

7) I then tried to check for a spark from coil wire with spark tester as test light was removed from module terminal. Result: no spark noticed.

HELP? ADVICE? COUNCIL? DIRECTION?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #11970 by Chad

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
6 years 9 months ago #11971 by Chad
Do you have a strong steady light on the coil power and a flickering light on the control?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds