Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Fixed - 2005 Acura TSX Steering Rack?

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #11933 by Tutti57
With both front wheels off the ground, grabbing a front tire at 9 and 3, shaking, there is a clunk sound, the other wheel turns, along with the steering wheel.

I'm new to using a lift and until recently would only typically have one wheel off the ground using a jack.

I was thinking that if there was play on one side, it could be an inner tie rod, but both sides had me thinking rack. Now that I noticed the steering wheel turn too, I'm wondering if this is all normal!

I should just put another car up there and test that, but I thought I'd ask the Masters of the universe first.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Tutti57.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #11939 by Dead_Eric
This sounds normal sort of...

With both wheels up you can turn them left and right freely. The steering wheel will turn with them, unless your steering wheel is locked.

When checking tie rods you hold the tire at 3 & 9 and look for play. Short shakes back and forth. The outer tie rod will move where it connects to the knuckle. You can pull down on the inner tie rod and if the play goes away then it's most likely loose.

Also check ball joints for movement and a difference in the moment from the rotor and the rim points to bearings.

Clunking when you turn the tire full left and full right points to U joints in the steering column. This is a common issue for your car.

Hope this helps

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #11942 by Tutti57
So with the wheel locked, I have about an inch of travel, then a metal bang noise. It happens in both directions on both sides.

The steering feels wavy and loose. It tracks pavement grooves.

I'll see if I can figure out how to post a short video, if that's possible.

I'm terrible with steering and suspension diags!
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Tutti57.

More
6 years 9 months ago #11943 by Dead_Eric
You want to check it with the steering unlocked. With the steering locked, about an inch of movement is normal and the noise is probably the locking mechanism.

The wheel feels wavy when your driving? That sounds like tire issues...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
6 years 9 months ago #11966 by Tutti57
Your right. I was thinking last night that it was probably just the lock.

The outer tie rods we're pretty dang loose and the inner was just flopping on both sides with the outer off, so I replaced those. It has new tires and I'm wondering if it needed an alignment that it never got.

I'll get one now anyway since I put those parts on and report back.

Thanks!

More
6 years 8 months ago #12830 by Tutti57
Eric was right. I got it aligned after replacing the inner and outer tie rods and all is well.

It had new tires on the car and it just must not have gotten an alignment after the new kicks got installed.

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds