Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 Dodge Durango 3.7

More
6 years 9 months ago #11901 by Da Beginner
Good day all, really need some help on this because I’ve never encountered something like this before? I’m working on a 2005 dodge Durango with the 3.7 engine. The engine was totally locked up so we had to do a complete rebuild. The crank, oil pump, main and connecting rod bearing were replaced; the driver side head (Left) was replaced. The block was honed out for new Pistons and rings. Everything was put back up by the book, so came the day to start this bad boy up and it started right up but ran rough, just to find out that the right (passenger) side of the engine had very LOW compression on cylinders 2,4& 6. 135 has 150psi and up.

The compression read was 60psi for cylinders 4&6 with cylinder 2 with only 30psi. I did a leak down test and found out that cylinder 4&6 had only 2 present leakage so why was the compression test so low, any ideas on what could be causing this low compression on only one side of the engine? Oh the head gaskets are new as well, with new oil and spark plugs. There are times it would have long cranking time until I take a sparkplug from any cylinder on the right head and it would start right up. Thanks for all the help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #11913 by cheryl hartkorn
id check the valve timing on the right bank
The following user(s) said Thank You: Da Beginner

More
6 years 9 months ago #11915 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2005 Dodge Durango 3.7
Agree with Cheryl on this one about checking valve timing. Not saying you don't know what you're doing! But the chain setup on this one is kinda a disaster. :lol: Because the other bank makes good compression, the issue will just about have to be on the secondary chain between the idler gear and the cam gear.

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds