Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2014 Chrysler Town & Country question

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #11798 by Donnyten
Does the 2014 Chrysler Town and Country use an oxygen sensor or air fuel sensor? Also are there one or two banks on this car?

Friend has a P0 420 code and I'm trying to help him out with that
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Donnyten.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #11800 by The Auto Tech
The 14 T&C has 4 standard oxygen sensors. that year should have the 3.6L. It has 2 banks, bank 1 being towards the rear of the van.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donnyten

More
6 years 9 months ago #11802 by Donnyten
Thanks.

I'm looking at the freezer frame data and some things don't seem right.

What exactly is absolute load vs load? Which value should I be paying attention to?

What would cause the engine cpu to assume wide open throttle? (if I'm reading it right) the data pid's *baro pressure and * manifold pressure says the throttle oursude/inside pressure is the same..

RPMs are relatively low so that doesn't add up either.

Not sure if I should be reading throttle position or relative throttle position. Either way they don't add up

There are no driveability issues but I plan to test drive tomorrow.

The photo posted in the first post was engine at idle, parked.not sure why the o2 data wasnt captured in the freeze

Thoughts welcome.

Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #11805 by The Auto Tech
Monitor the bank one upstream and downstream 02s. Upstream should vary approx .1v to .9v downstream should remain relatively constant.
raise the rpm to 2500 and watch the 02s if they are mirroring each other and there is no other drivability concerns such as a misfire it would suggest a bad converter.

More
6 years 9 months ago #11824 by Donnyten

Looks to me the downstream O2 sensor is at fault. The downstream is a little jumpy however is not mimicking what the Upstream is reporting. No other drivability symptoms noted. To help verify i was thinking I could switch the Upstream with the downstream temporarily which I suppose would either cause a bank 1 lean/ rich or another 02 code if the sensor is not operating as it should. Would that *test* work to help be sure it's the downstream?

More
6 years 9 months ago #11832 by The Auto Tech
Im still leaning towards a bad converter.
Heres a video Paul did on diagnosing converters
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #11847 by Tyler
Swapping O2's is definitely an option, just keep an eye out for different harness lengths and connectors. It might be easier to swap the downstream sensors and see if the catalyst efficiency code follows. Also worth checking carefully for exhaust leaks, as Chrysler has lots of issues with downstream sensor codes caused by pinhole leaks.

If the code stays, then it's probably cat time. :-(
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Tyler.

More
6 years 9 months ago #11946 by Donnyten
so whats actually going on in a cat that has a p0420 code? obviously it is not totally blocked but would there be any measure of back pressure on a failing cat?

More
6 years 9 months ago #11964 by Tyler

Donnyten wrote: so whats actually going on in a cat that has a p0420 code? obviously it is not totally blocked but would there be any measure of back pressure on a failing cat?

Probably not. :unsure: Unless there's a lack-of-power complaint? Otherwise, this code usually indicates the cat is just chemically dead.

Did the O2 sensor swap show any change?

More
6 years 9 months ago #11965 by Donnyten
Unfortunately/fortunately he got impatient and took it to a mechanic. We'll see how it turns out.

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds