Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

92 mustang will not run

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #11554 by Phantom
92 mustang lx 5.0 automatic . 35,000 original miles, with no engine mods . Engine is all original stock , except for new fuel system , including fuel lines , tank, sending unit, fuel pump, filter and regulator . Also the cats are gone and replaced with a off road h-pipe . Cranks strong , runs for a second and dies.
Tests done : diagnostic pulled no codes. Fuel pressure test gave me 39-40 lbs of pressure to the rail , with no change upon cranking the engine. Checked , cleaned the IAC valve. Changed the distributor module . Tested the spark . Cap , rotor , and wires have good spark. Rotor is moving fine and positioned in the right spot. Cleaned the MAF sensor , replaced the MAF Sensor as well. Changed the spark plugs . Tested the TPS. There is fuel getting to the cylinders as the plugs have gas residue . No oil on the plugs though. Ruled out the timing chain , as there is no noise or rattling ,and it's not likely to snap on a car with such low mileage . There was no prior trouble or warning signs such as bad idle , smoke or leaks. Cleaned the car up for an upcoming show , the car was running fine , then decided to her out for a quick spin before leaving . Ran fine until I got on the highway and tried to open her up , and there was no power . Felt bogged down . I pulled over after about a mile to turn around , and she stalled . No smoke or fluids visible at any point , but The Engine stayed burning hot for over an hour . Had it towed home , and it Hasn't run since . Cranks , starts briefly , runs rough for a second or 2 , then dies . Out of nowhere . Car ran perfect . The only thing I can think of is maybe the EGR ? Or maybe the fuel pressure regulator went bad? Not sure if that part going bad would prevent a start ...any ideas? Am I missing something?
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Phantom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #11555 by cheryl hartkorn
can you keep it running on alternative fuel?? have someone start her up and see if she will run for as long you add alternative fuel. i think that could be another issue the egr stuck open... does this car have a security system? fords pats

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #11576 by Phantom
Replied by Phantom on topic 92 mustang will not run
Tried spraying starting fluid into the air intake , but it brought the same result . However didn't do it while someone else was cranking the engine . Will give it a shot. There is no security system . Like I said , car was running perfect with absolutely no trouble or warning signs before this .

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 9 months ago #11578 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 92 mustang will not run
I like Cheryl's idea of adding carb cleaner to see if it keeps running. I'd couple that with check for injector pulse.

I own a 91 GT that will still have the factory engine in it another couple weeks if you need to compare sensor voltages or something.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 9 months ago #11579 by Phantom
I'm gonna give it try. If it works , I guess maybe the EGR is bad?

More
6 years 9 months ago #11810 by Nandor69
Replied by Nandor69 on topic 92 mustang will not run
Well, you threw about every part at it so far.....lol jk.
what does the compression look like on all the cylinders?

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #11815 by Andy.MacFadyen
If this was happening where I live I would suspect misfueling ie. - diesel in the tank. but that is less likely in the US
However a question is the engine firing but dying as soon as the key is released from the crank position?

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
6 years 9 months ago #11816 by cheryl hartkorn
maybe a bad ignition switch.

More
6 years 9 months ago #11819 by Andy.MacFadyen

cheryl hartkorn wrote: maybe a bad ignition switch.

My thinking, same symptoms we used to see with a burned out ignition ballast resistor

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #11972 by Phantom
Update:
As it turns out , the only thing I didn't look at was the fuel pressure regulator , because I had thought it was new for some reason . I decided I would take a look at it anyway , since I tried everything else , and the alternative after that would be jumped timing . As it turns out I was wrong , because the fuel pressure regulator tured out to be factory original . So I changed it out since I now had access to it after taking out the whole throttle body and air intake. Figured it was a longshot at this point , but you never know . Turns out this was the the problem all along . By the regulator being bad , Too much fuel was flooding her out and she wouldn't run. Now she runs like a Swiss watch . Go figure . Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions . It was much appreciated.

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds